MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 09:56 PM   #1
Kool94Gt
Registered Member

Unhappy Cooling Problem-Long

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going out of my mind. Every 6 or 7 days my car goes through 3/4 of a gallon of anti freeze. I have changed my heads, gaskets, themostat and radiator cap. I have pressure tested the Fluidyne Radiator and replaced my Robert Shaw cap. I have spent a lot of money and time with no results. No fluid is missing from the overflow tank, but the radiator is low. I have jack the front of the car up and let run for a 1/2 hour to get the air pockets out. It runs at N on the gauge for 6 or 7 days and starts to run hot. I can feel hot air being pulled from the fan when radiator is full. I can tell when is low because cold air is pulled from the fan. I then open it up hot and put in a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. The fan now draws hot air and the gauge goes back to N or O. It syas that for the usaul period. Another thing is when I bought the Fluidyne it leak fluid around the Stant cap. It seemed to solved when I put on the Robert Shaw cap. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly because I am tired of putting in fluid every week.
Thanks,

Ed

------------------
Edward Spiegel
94 Mustang Black Gt 5 Speed- Too much to list.

[This message has been edited by Kool94Gt (edited 07-27-2001).]
Kool94Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 10:58 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Hmmm. That sucks. You are losing much fluid if it's like you say so I'm wondering why it's so hard to find out where it's coming from.

When you remove your radiator cap, can you see the coolant flowing strong from the passenger side of the vehicle to the driver side in the radiator? Have you checked around your water pump. If it is good, you should see good flow of coolant in your rad. Check for leaks on bottom and side of water pump.

Also, check your hoses. If it takes 6 or 7 days to leak, there could very possibly be a small leak in a hose in which the coolant escapes only when pressure builds up greatly. If this happens, first of all, it'll be difficult to see the green coolant b/c it will be steam and will not hang around and drip/collect like liquid coolant that leaks. Secondly, the hole could be so small that you cannot see it from just a quick look.

Try driving the car for a few minutes and get it good and hot. Park it and leave it running. Check the front and back on top and bottom of radiator and carefully inspect radiator hoses for minute steam leaks. Stick your head under the car and look around the bottom of the water pump. Check and see if there is any green chunky build up around the reservoir cap and radiator cap.

Hope you kill the problem.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:06 PM   #3
429AL
Registered Member

Question

Have you checked the heater core pass. side floor or the small drain hose that comes out on lower pass. side of the firewall. just a thought.

------------------
Stock 89 GT with 147000 miles,but not for long. Now with 3.73`s, soon 306 from 85 install.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote