MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #1
KobraLX
Registered Member

Default Cooling Problems and Possible Upgrades?

My 89 5.0 has recently developed some cooling problems. The temperature gauge (factory) tends to now show a lot of variablilty in it (¡Ö185 to ¡Ö260). It use to stay consistently at 190 (180 t-stat).

About 2 months ago, I was driving home when I realized something was wrong. The temp gauge was climbing fast and power was dropping for the same fuel input. Realizing something must have blown I pulled over to find the hose running away from the water pump and up over the intake has exploded. I had driven about 2 miles with this problem so I feared I had blown a head gasket. I replaced the hose, filled her up and came home. The car has been fine up until a few days ago when the above things began to occur regularly.

So my problem is?

Temp sensor? If so where exactly is it - lower intake if my memory serves?

Thermostat?

Blown headgasket? What's a sure fire way to determine a blown gasket without a compression check?

Water pump and Stat are about 4 years old and not coolant appears to be getting consumed, or is being lost while parked.

New set of questions - this cooling system will not cut it in the future so I have considering an extensive upgrade to an aluminum radiator, high flow pump, electric fan with the things listed above.

What's everyone's recommendations?

The upcoming motor will have aluminum heads and probably ¡Ö350 hp if that is of interest. Also the weather here goes from -15¡ã to 105¡ã.
KobraLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:03 PM   #2
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

I don't know for sure but you could always go ahead and replace the thermostat. There inexpensive and easy to replace. I'd start there if I were you. 4 years sounds like an outlived life for a thermostat.

Good luck, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:09 PM   #3
Flamed95stang
Registered Member

Had a similar problem on mine, problem was the thermostat, no big deal. Also how long has the water pump been on the car, I know its far fetched but that could be goin. I would also do a complete flush with some cleaner to make sure you have no clogs.

**MODERATOR AT WWW.COLORADOSTANGS.COM**

Cobra upper and lower intake, bbk 70mm throttle bodie, mac cold air kit,
bbk/walbro 190lph fuel pump, pro m 75mm bullet mass air meter, jet computer chip, bbk lowering springs (1.5"), D&D adjustable upper rear controll arms, Indexed spark plugs,
gripp caster/camber plates, under drive pullys, msd 6al ignition, msd blaster coil, taylor 10.5mm plug wires, bassani exhaust with an x, saleen ceramic headers, 3:73 gears, E-303 cam,1.6 roller rockers, aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, cobra r clutch, 180 thermostat, manual fan on/off switch (high), msd shift light, autometer volt, water and air/fuel carbon fiber, everything inside car, white faced guages, hurst pro 5.0 shifter,
Pro-M Remote Optimizer
And finally a new trans so now I can race again
Next up, some suspension work.

**Working on traction issue**

1/4 mile- 14.85@91mph at 5800ft above sea level
60'- 2.12
1/8 mile 9.52@72mph
Just some fyi, my times would be about this at sea level:
1/4 mile- 13.6
60'-1.8 or 1.7
1/8 mile- 8.2
Flamed95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #4
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

To check if the head gasket is blown you should be able to just take off the rad cap (while the car is cool) and watch for bubbles. If its really bubbling you have a blown head gasket. But my best guess would be the thermostat or the sender. Both are fairly cheap and easy. Head gaskets dont usually blow unless your either running higher compression, the engine gets too hot, or it wasnt installed properly. But im betting its the thermostat. Hope its just something small.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #5
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Um, does that always mean a head gasket? Are there any other signs? Unfortunately, I think that whats wrong with my honda. It will bubble forever while the thermostat is open. I don't see coolant leaking anywhere. The car does have 213,000 miles on it though. It seems to run cool at idle but hot when i drive it. It overheated on me again today, 3rd time in a week. Also my car is only running on 3 cylinders. When I changed the #3 plug, it had oil all over it. Could that possibly be related? Thanks for any help.

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 12:07 AM   #6
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Usually when you have air bubbles in the rad its because the head gasket is toast. But im sure there is something else that could cause that. As far as oil on the #3 plug that could be a few things. it could probably be from a blown head gasket or maybe a bad pisting ring or rings. If anything im saying here is wrong though someone correct me as i dont want to give wrong advice.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:20 PM   #7
KobraLX
Registered Member

The water pump is about 4 years old (almost to the day). I am going to acquire a thermostat and sender to see what happens.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:57 AM   #8
KobraLX
Registered Member

Well the thermostat, coolant sensor, coolant sender and fresh coolant are installed with no leaks.

It's running 1/2 to 2/3 of the way on factory gauge which I calculate to be 245 to 260 degrees F. Way too hot. It's like something can't keep up but everything appears to be fine. The car runs but I am intimidated by it being that hot.

The car runs fine though.

So what's up? Anyone have some funny experiences like this??

I am about ready to cancel the insurance and park it.