MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 11:51 AM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Question A couple small problems - Need advice

My radiator is spitting a little coolant on the ground as I don't have an overflow tank reinstalled on the car yet. The car runs cooler than it ever has though and the coolant has reached a level in the radiator and seems to be holding there so I guess it's normal with the use of a catch can. I think I'm stopping by the shop today to get an aftermarket can.

Another thing I am unsure about is my gas tank is building up pressure now after the fuel pump install. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does do it it nearly blows the cap out of my hand. Can I just get a vented cap to solve this problem? Or should I be finding out what is wrong? If I should find the problem, where do I look? All wires and hoses were reconnected to the tank on reinstallation.

Thanks.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:08 PM   #2
MuscleStang351
Registered Member

In response to the coolant overflow can, if you had it in place it would catch the overflowing coolant and when the system cooled down it would siphen back into the radiator, so when you replace it you should have no problem.

As for the fuel cap, your stock one should be or I should say the stock one is vented, and your system shouldnt build up too much pressure. So thats where I would start looking, the cap.
Good luck
MuscleStang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:12 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Kevin after the overflow container is installed you shouldn't loose the coolant. I think when the thermostat open a little coolant is going out the spout to that would attach to the over flow. Make sure it's not the water pump.

As far as the gas tank, make sure you didn't crimp or smash the tube that comes out of the gas tank and runs to the charcoal canister, that is your vent to the tank. As far as I know stock caps were not vented since you have that tube. I guess you could get rid of that, plug it up and get a vented cap like the older cars had, but I don't think that is necessary. The vented tube is for Environmental Friendly..hehehe

Can you post a pic and the link to that white faced A/C control, it sounds like it would go good with all the white gauges I have.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 04-12-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 12:58 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I'll get you a pic tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to my brothers tonight (65 mile drive) to install the gears and get our cars ready for the race.

The white face A/C guages looks pretty close to the MAC white face speedo face so if you get one you will be happy with it. It is actually a better quality than the MAC faces in my opinion.

I don't think we pinched the vent tube, but that is probably what it is. It wasn't doing this before the fuel pump install so it has to be something simple.

I am going to try to pick up an overflow tank tomorrow if any place is open. If not I'll just try to make my stock one work somehow. Since I removed the shroud for the electric fan I have to come up with some type of mount.

My water pump is fine. The car is staying cooler than it ever has with this setup. I just got the biggest electric fan Auto Zone sells and have the Stewart pump and a 180 degree thermostat. I'd highly recommend this setup because it's a killer combo and was pretty cheap.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
Old 04-13-2001, 01:36 PM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Kevin, I agree the Stewart pump is great combined with my Ron Davis Radiator and a 195 degree thermostat my car only runs 180 degrees. I just ditched the factory fan, and shroud myself. I went with a 16" Perma-Cool and a JAZ overflow container. Hope everythign goes good for you this weekend at the races let us all know how it goes. Where did you get the white face A/C ?

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 01:34 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I got the white face A/C overlay from the link in my sig =)