MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-03-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
quick89gt
Registered Member

Default Crank key help "half moon key"

Ok, the key that came in the crank on my new 331 from DSS doesn't seem to have a lot of contact "engagement" with the sprocket for the timing chain. How much contact does it need? I mean, it catches, but it catches not even half way up the notch in the sprocket. I have tried to get a taller one, by they don't fit down in the crank well b/c they are shaped different. Is it okay to go ahead and put it together like this? Please let me know b/c it's a pain and a hassle to keep bangin' and prying the keys out of the crank. I don't want to chip the crank all up. Thanks...josh
Old 05-04-2002, 01:20 PM   #2
PKRWUD

The better the key fits, the less chance of the gear spinning on the crank. It does happen. I would recommend going to a NAPA auto parts store with your current key, and look for a better one. There are hundreds of different size keys, and NAPA tends to be the best stocked, at least around here.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 05:26 PM   #3
Strim91GT
Registered Member

I've got the dss 393 rotating assembly. The crank that came in the kit was a scat steel crank. i'm not sure if it is anything like the 331 cranks or not, but mine had three half moon keys in it. The crank didn't come with the half moon keys in mine. I called up DSS and asked what size they were and they told me they were a custom keyway, but if they needed some they went down to the nearest car quest and got some, so it's not a custom keyway. BUT, the ones in my scat steel crank 393 DSS kit were small block chevy size. i'm assuming that's so you can get offset keys and play with the timing some. But i went to the nearest auto parts store and got small block chevy half moon keys. AND if you want to, just get a keyway that's to big and take it to the grinder to grind it down to make it fit better..... Just my 2 cents. Good luck
vortech s trim,edelbrock 6032's, b303, cobra intake, 70mm tb, pro m 75mm bullet, granatelli alum. rad., accel 330+ digital ign., msd boost tim. ret., 30# inj., 190 lph fuel pump, t-rex pump, bbk, press. reg., tremec tko, ram billet flywheel, dual friction clutch, pro 5.0 shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum quadrant, motorsport alum. driveshaft, hooker headers, off road h pipe, flowmaster cat back, subframes, megabyte jr lowers, heavy duty uppers, eibach springs drag springs, koni sport shocks, polished cobra r's, 85-86 taillights, msd pro billet distributor
Strim91GT is offline   Reply With Quote