View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
roysgreenstang
85/90 mustang you decide

Question Re: Crazy Backfiring

I will definately try that when i get home. The only thing is i have had many 302 experts come to look at my car and each did the rocker adjustment themselves the way they do for their own cars and all resulted with the same outcome. Also the rocker adjustment is what everyone says it is, but i just dont see how it could be that off. I have tried everything i could think of. Having them too loose, and the car sounds the same other then the tapping of the rockers because of them being too loose. i have tried not giving it the extra 1/4 turn. I have tried and extra 1/4, 1/2 3/4 and a full turn and it doesnt seem to change anything. I was curious about the gear driven timing gears if they could be the problem. All at once i changed the timing gears heads rockers and pushrods. What is the base timing gear time set to. Is it 0 degrees, advanced 4 or retarded 4. I have it set to 0. Oh i have upgreded valve spring too. That wouldnt cause any problems though would it. Oh yeah and the backpressure thing. Do 302's run well with little to no back pressure. Because the Exhaust ports are unusually large in comparison to the stock ports, at least 2 times as big, actually so are the intake ports. Im wondering if i should maybe just cut my looses and see if i can trade the heads for a set of gt 40 heads, but id prefer someone who has been building track cars give me their opinion on the matter before i do something so drastic considering these heads flow 500 hp. Id hate to get rid of something like that if i dont have to, but if i do, im close to the point that i dont care as long as the car is running good, and its got some gallop. Sorry for the long messages, i just dont like missing details, thanks.