MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2001, 02:34 AM   #1
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Post odd noise is driving me crazy.....please help.

Heres my problem:
On my way to a friend's house today my car started making a weird noise. it sounds like what a weak belt tensioner would sound like, or something that's vibrating in the belt drive...or something like bearings (high pitched metallic loose/wobbly noise). At first I thought it was the tensioner so i took the belt completely off and messed with the tensioner and no stoppage of noise. It sounds more like it's coming from the back bottom of the engine (Definately from the passanger side) like the starter doesn't fully disengage or something.....here's the weird part: it ONLY does it with the engine rotating (while running or dead) on LEFT turns. Right turns there's no noise and it intermittently does it at idle at a stop, but doesn't do it coasting with the clutch in or out of gear with the engine off. On left turns it gets louder and with the clutch in it occasionally makes a little noise.
ANY IDEAS, PLEASE HELP!

-by the way, this is on my '84 LX 5.0L-
------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

[This message has been edited by 84LX89GT (edited 08-31-2001).]
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 02:40 AM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Im having a problem like that, (see my post) but mine is not affected by turning, i suspect an accessory driven bye the belt, almost sure it is my smogpump, do you still have your smogpump? if so it could be ready to lock up, im gonna bypass mine with a short belt soon as this rain stops, but mine is making more of a clattering noise, almost gave me a heartattack but a big screwdriver to the belt tensioner, to my ear tells its something driven by the belt.

------------------
90 lx coupe: 5spd, 177k miles, steeda water pump pulley, Mac coldair fenderwell, Mac h-pipe, supercoil, ADS chip, 160 stat, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods:4.10's, slicks.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 03:06 PM   #3
84LX89GT
Mustangs

That's the thing that sucks. I completely took off the belt and it did the same thing with no belt on the car (no accessories turning) and other than that i don't have a smog pump anymore either....really odd. I'm about ready to have a bon fire with my car in the middle . oh, well. Sh/t happens, i've about had the last straw when it comes to the '84.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

Old 09-01-2001, 12:05 AM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Thumbs up

TTT.........

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

Old 09-01-2001, 06:21 AM   #5
PKRWUD

If the noise was only present when the clutch pedal was out, yet developed into a squealing noise when the pedal was depressed, I would say it was the throw-out bearing, but since it's quiet then, I think you are right in suspecting the starter. How old is the throw-out bearing? How old is the starter? Have you been having any starting problems? Have you checked to make sure the starter bolts are tight? Try loosening the starter and re-tightening it. While underneath, look around for shiny metal anywhere, indicating rubbing. You should also have a look at your motor mounts, or at least look for excessive engine movement while in gear and under load. If the engine moves too much, check the mounts. If the left mount broke, the engine would probably contact the hood, but if the right side mount broke, it could allow for excessive movement allowing undesired contact elsewhere.

Check the starter first, then the motor mounts, then try and inspect the throw-out bearing.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-01-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote