MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2001, 12:20 PM   #1
86pony
Registered Member

Post Cylinder head swap

I am considering swapping my stock 86 heads for a set of stock 87/89 heads that have been ported.
Will this work with the flat top pistons, or do i need to have the pistons machined for valve clearance.
Also, I would like to upgrade the intake manifold, but am not sure what would work best on an otherwise stock engine.
I have heard of some people using an explorer manifold, any thoughts on this?
I am trying to gain a few extra ponies on a tight budget, so any help is appreciated...
86pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 12:47 PM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

I'm new to Mustang arena but am very familiar with building and modifying Chevy engines. As far as our 5.0's go, I can share with you what some Mustang mechanics have shared with me. I've been told (this isn't the gospel, just the opinions of a couple of people I have spoken with) to stay away from the bigger manifolds suchas the TFS line and the Holley line, unless the appropriate heads and cam are going on also. For a basically stock street motor, the GT40, Cobra, and Edelbrock 5.0 manifolds have been highly recommended, as have the TFS and Edelbrock heads with the small intake valves to avoid flycutting the pistons. If you look around-check your local Trader publications, online auctions, car shows and swap meets-you can find good deals on parts. I'm picking up an Edelbrock 5.0 intake that has been (externally) polished to a really nice shine for $300.00. Not too bad of a deal but you can find even better out there. You can find heads for a good price too, just be careful of what's been done to them. I planned to buy a pair of used Dart heads for my Chevelle several years back. Fortunately, the owner agreed to let me pay to have them magnafluxed before I purchased them. The test showed two cracks that were not visible to the eye. But, deals are out there. Good luck!

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 03:36 PM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Yes, it will work, but do make sure you check piston/valve clearance anyway. Never hurts to be safe. I've done 3 E6 to E7 swaps without any problems. One thing that can help is a thicker head gasket. Make sure that the heads aren't milled too much either. That could cause problems, and don't use 1.7 rocker arms either. But I must ask you, why don't you fly cut the pistons when you have the heads off? There are tools that you can get that'll do it while the engine is in the car.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 11:09 PM   #4
macx
Registered Member

don't overlook the Explorer P heads and intake which can be had very reasonably either used at a junkyard or bare or assembled thru several suppliers. check //motorcitymustang.corral.net for LOTS of very detailed P head & intake info incl sources. You have to click on the page for one of the cars listed on the home page like the 84, then scroll down when it opens to see a link to GT40P tech at the bottom.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 11:12 PM   #5
macx
Registered Member

PS - The Explorer intake is VERY similar to the Cobra intake. Very good performer. You just need to make sure you get the one (earlier?) that has the EGR passages in the intake.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote