MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
Gho$t
Registered Member

Angry Damn Smog Guy

Ok fellas here's one for ya. I finally got my car to pass at a Smog Test Only Center, here's my problem....... Ran like a champ b4 the smog,.... runs like crap now. I watched him pull off the timing plug ran the test put the plug back on and parked it. I get in the car and now it seems like its not hitting on several cylinders. Idles fine, but when you rev up the engine it like shakes the engine a lil bit almost like when I had a '67VW and when the points went bad It would miss. Im stumped I checked the timing and its ok. My cap and rotor look a lil bad but would that have a direct effect on my car. It only runs like crap really under load. I reset my computer and took it around the block, at first it was fine but on my second run around the block it started doing it again like its sputtering. Im gonna replace the cap and rotor but any other suggestion will be a great help. THIS CAR IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!!! I've never had so many problems with a FORD until I got this stang. I fix one thing something else goes its a never ending problem with this car.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
drtbiker
Registered Member

why would he pull off the timing plug to check the emmisions???
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Gho$t
Registered Member

to get it at 10 BTDC and it passed with flying colors. I hate California emissions. I figured out that its only hitting on 7 cylinders, but I have no idea why now.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
drtbiker
Registered Member

try another cap and rotor i would say...hmmm if that doesnt work pm pkrwud about it he should be able to help yeah

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
Coupe Devil

Man I love not having to worry about smog ( knock on wood ). is there any way to install the timing plug upside down.. I know its just two pole but would maybe turnin it upside down have an effect????

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:18 PM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe Devil
Man I love not having to worry about smog ( knock on wood ). is there any way to install the timing plug upside down.. I know its just two pole but would maybe turnin it upside down have an effect????

Bradley
No. The plug has a key and the harness has a slot for the key.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
techsan
Registered Member

If the car only seems to miss during a heavy load the problem could be the wires instead of the plug. Sometimes if the boot is slightly seperated from the wire it will act that way. Try revving up the car in the garage without the lights on, and you may be able to see light coming from where the boot and wire meet near the block. The wires are, of course, relatively easy to change, so you may want to think about changing those with the cap and rotor. Good luck
techsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:30 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Default fuel filter

When is the last time you replaced your fuel filter? When those clog up they can definitely make your car sputter. Mine did.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:12 PM   #9
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I would check to see if one or more of the wires is shorting and make sure that all the wires are properly seperated. It sounds like its time for a tuneup anyway so grap a new set of wires with the cap and rotor or just check em out really well.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote