MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Dialing in cam?

dropped off my motor at the machine shop today. Full rebuild with all new parts except crank. My question is about dialing in the cam.
The mechanic said he would dial in the cam for extra 40 bucks, plus cost of proper timing chain. Does this sound right?
I have heard that dialing in the cam is better and understand the theory, but how much better will the motor run?
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
tarmon8r
Registered Member

well, the price sounds about right, but you will need a pretty good timing chain, which you should use anyway, so be aware of the addition cost of the chain, but 40 bucks is about right......as far as the combo and dialing a cam in, it depends on if you are trying to squeeze everylast available power out of your combo........if you do all the right things first, then it will be easier in the long run
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Murdock
Registered Member

Sorry....but to me that is a bunch of s$#t. I charge one fee...installing the camshaft. Who in there right mind would install a cam and not degree it. That should fall under normal installation....nothing extra. I know a cam doesn't leave are shop without being degreed....I wouldn't want to put my name on that install if not.

Decreeing a cam does make a difference in the power the motor will make. A costumer asked me once why his friends car with the same B303 cam was running slower than his. I guess I should have told him his friend didn't pay the extra $40.

Murdock
Old 02-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

The last shop i used about 8 years ago never degreed the cam. Never even brought it up. I didnt know much about motors then either, but it ran very well anyways. And I know this motor, being a western auto rebuild shure wasn't degreed.
Its kinda different situation on this one. I brought all my own parts and he is charging me a very fair price to do all the work. I was just trying to do this one as cheap as possible, and he was working with me. but am getting it degreed this time. He is charging me $300 to prep the block and put it all together, plus i paid 220 for the summit kit.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote