MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-04-2002, 12:26 PM   #1
FiveORookie
Registered Member

Question Differences: GT v LX

OK well I replaced my front wheel bearings, and since my has an LX badge in the back, I looked up and bought the LX bearings. To my surprise they were too small so I went back to my job (autozone) and picked out the GT/SVO bearings and they fit right in . My question is, on an 87 5.0 how can you know what the difference is between a GT and an LX.. I have a huge front sway bar, almost two inches. I have a rear sway bar and I have two shocks on each of my back wheels... Where can I look up my vin ??? THanks guys

Vic

PS right way to guy your cats..... I have a no money budget basically =>
FiveORookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
LX5liter
dude5l

The G.T. and the LX 5.0 had the same suspension. The GT's had a ground effects kit, that is about the only difference between the 5.0 models. The 4 cyl LX's had the lighter suspension, so I think that is probably the car you bought the parts for. Two of the "shocks" in the back are to help eliminate wheel hop, the other two are the actual shock absorber.
When I gutted my cats, I could get a bar in to crush the honeycomb on 3 of them, but on the last one I had to cut it open, gut it, then braze the cover back on.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

what he said is right for the diffrences..easiest way to gut cats is 4 m-80's..only if you h-pip looks solid and not all rusted out..anyhow you do it wear breathing protection...ceramic+exhaust gas buildup=deadly

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
FiveORookie
Registered Member

LOL m-80s are illegal here in FLorida unfortunately. Even if you do get them they aren't as strong as they used to be... Thanks for the info guys... Is it going to get a lot louder if I gut the cats???? I'm expecting it to change, but is it a pleasant change. Seeing that I do like performance exhausts. Is it going to lean out??

Vic
Old 10-05-2002, 01:13 AM   #5
lx5091
Registered Member

yeah I think Autozone lists the wrong part #, which happens often enough. And they blame it on Ford, oh yeah they must have run out of LX rotors the day they were doing your car so they put GT rotors in...

that was actually the comment I received from my friendly neighborhood autozone. Don't get me wrong I LOVE AUTOZONE. Problem is they can't keep help over here so nobody knows anything and the one kid that has always been around THINKS HE KNOWS EVERYTHING even though he's never worked on a car! He overhears customers, than relays this to people as automotive advice!

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:39 AM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

Default Re: Differences: GT v LX

Quote:
Originally posted by FiveORookie
OK well I replaced my front wheel bearings, and since my has an LX badge in the back, I looked up and bought the LX bearings. To my surprise they were too small so I went back to my job (autozone) and picked out the GT/SVO bearings and they fit right in . My question is, on an 87 5.0 how can you know what the difference is between a GT and an LX.. I have a huge front sway bar, almost two inches. I have a rear sway bar and I have two shocks on each of my back wheels... Where can I look up my vin ??? THanks guys

Vic

PS right way to guy your cats..... I have a no money budget basically =>
just to let you know Autozone has schit screwed up. LX=4cyl and GT=V8 in their books. just to let you know. for now on look under GT, not LX. Also make sure you select the V8 engine! Als you got to watch out, they also say that the 87-93 5.0's have the same brake booster as a 93 Cobra! just to give you an example.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:43 AM   #7
FiveORookie
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Well at least down here in Miami, we have a lot more people that know there stuff. $ of our stores down here do better then 15 Discount Auto Parts combined. Well anyways. What are other differeneces between a GT and an LX???? Springs?? Besides the body kit??