MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-24-2001, 02:15 AM   #1
abesmith69
Registered Member

Default Disc Brakes

GUYS!

I have a question.... (as usual..I know I know ...damn newbies)

I am very mad with my brakes....my front disc brakes get all this black **** on my turbine rims, and if you have ever had turbine rims you know they are a pain to clean. But my rear drum brakes are sparkling clean. Anyway I can have drums in the front ? or is that a no no ? I know no idea about brake systems so if ya guys could help me out I would appreciate it!

THANKS A BUNCH!!
Abe
Old 11-24-2001, 02:57 AM   #2
posied88
Registered Member

Thumbs down 4 Wheel Drums???

Hey Abe I think putting drums on the front would not be a very wise move at all. It would be horrible for a daily driven car. I think it would be horrible for any car. Drums are not as advanced therefore they do not perform as well. All you have to do is get out the wheel polish and clean every so often. Its just brake dust, it comes off moderately easy. So my advice would be to just keep those wheels clean, and stick with your much better discs in front.

P.S. I have a freind who has a '67 Camaro with 4 wheel drums and you have to drastically increase your stopping distance because of it.
3.55 Gears,Posi,MAC 1 5/8 Shorties,MAC Off-Road H-Pipe,Flowmaster 3 Chamber Mufflers,BBK 65mm Throttle Body,FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft,FRPP B-303 cam,Pro 5.0 Shifter,1 1/2in. Lowering Springs,HPM Subframe Connectors,HPM Driveshaft Loop,Full Saleen Body Kit and Wing,2.5in. Double Cowl Hood,17" Saleen Speedline Wheels.

So Cal Wild Horses
posied88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 03:21 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

thats brake dust for ya! theres not too much you can do for it becides keep your wheels clean and polished. when i had turbines i used mothers mag alum polish with a tooth brush and a small wire brush to clean them out. then used windex about everyother day to keep the dust from baking onto the rims. just spray the windex on, scrub a little if needed and hose off. this worked pretty well!

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:24 AM   #4
LX5liter
dude5l

I agree with the other guys. If anything you should be changing over your rear drums to disc. (at least then you would have brake dust at all four corners ) Isn't there a mag polish that you can spray on, let it sit for a minute or two, then spray it off with water?

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 01:36 PM   #5
abesmith69
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I know a guy at pep boys and he told me about these brake shields so I picked some up today and im gonna bolt them on and see how they work, I also bought some of that anti-squeek stuff that you rub onto the breaks, just to see how it works. I will let you guys know.

Thanks,
Abe