MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2001, 11:21 PM   #1
acidangel316
Registered Member

Post Which MSD igintion??

i have a blaster HVC coil #8252 and i don't know which MSD ignition to buy.. i have a mildly modified 94 cobra which is mainly a high performance street car which sees the track about once a month.. i don't know whether to go with the Digitial 6 PLUS or the HVC 6 Professional ignition?? whats the difference and which one makes more horses??

p.s. the price difference doesn't matter
acidangel316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 12:11 AM   #2
TJR
Registered Member

I'm still using the stock stuff, but I'll throw my 2 cents in (which is all it is probably worth).

As far as MSD, I would go with the 6AL. I just don't know how reliable they are. It seems like I'm always reading about their stuff making buzzing noises and breaking. I used to help work on a Mustang which had a MSD-6A ignition (no rev limiter). He could never get it to work right, so he continued to use the stock ignition. I also used to be a pit crew member for a Late model Dirt track car, his MSD box broke after a couple of days. Even the Asphalt car the my dad helped out with was having problems with MSD boxes failing. Anyways, this is from my personal experiences, I'm sure there are a lot of others (even on this site) that have had good luck with them.

If I ever upgrade my ignition, I'll probably go with the Crane components. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Plus, they have a built in Rev control that adjusts with a screwdriver (if I remember correctly), and not those little pills you have to change.

------------------
1989 lx notch
89,000 miles
5-speed, bolt-ons, 3.73, TFS TWs, TFS Track Heat, TFS Stage 1 cam

[This message has been edited by TJR (edited 11-03-2001).]
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 12:47 AM   #3
PKRWUD

I prefer the Crane HI-6, but you don't need to worry about it. Your stock system is as good if not better than the MSD box or the Crane box. Don't waste your (or whoever) money.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 02:48 AM   #4
acidangel316
Registered Member

thats cool... the thing is i pretty much got given this brand new coil and i know you can only use it with an msd ignition. i'm personally an msd fan because i do have a 6a on one of my cars and a 6al on another adn they've worked beautifully. i've just never put one on a later fuel injected car before so i wasn't sure if the 6al would work.. mainly because i've never seen one on a late mustang, like later than a fox body.. so, do you know if a 6al would work with my ride and if there would be any difference in it and those other 2 i named?

-j
acidangel316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 12:15 PM   #5
PKRWUD

The 8252 is a drop in replacement that works with the stock ignition system. The 8251 requires an MSD 7, 8 or 10 series box. You don't have to buy a box. But, it sounds like you really want to. If that's the case, a digital 6 would be fine. You won't notice any difference at all, but that is true no matter what box you bought. The power comes from the engine. All the box does is help to feed a hungry engine. Your stock ignition currently supplies more than enough food for your hungry engine. Changing the box is like changing grocery stores: you will pay more, but the food will taste the same. If you want more power, you need to make mechanical modifications, not electrical ones.

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 01:21 PM   #6
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I would go 6AL. I was in the performance shop the other day, and they had this little booth set up, and it had the stock ignition system on one side, and the MSD on the other. Man...that stock ignition makes one puny spark compared to the MSD. It's always a good idea to have a good ignition, you "probaly" won't feel the difference though.

------------------
-1989 GT, not stock.
-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
-1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383, RPM air-gap intake, demon carb., tubbed, trick flow TW heads, trick flow pistons, 6" rod's, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, 4 inch cowl hood, Ford 9", auburn Pro-series Posi, Pro-billet distributor, Sanderson Jet-hot coated headers, Custom radiator,
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote