MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2001, 09:10 PM   #1
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Question Which MSD box should I get?

I am looking to get rid of my factory Duraspark ignition module. What will replace it? Will an MSD box replace it or just work with it. If it will replace it what kind is the best the 6AL? or are there any better ones? My mods can be seen in my signature. Thanks for the help.

Phantom

------------------
1983 GLX Convertible 5-Speed, knife-edged crank, internally balanced, TRW 11:1, custom cam, ported Windsor Jrs, Manley Valves, CCs roller lifters, dual springs, ARP stud kit, 600cfm Edelbrock Torker 2, Mallory Ignition, Canton 7qt traps windage tray baffles, Hooker Super Comp Headers 1 5/8 primaries 3" collectors, Flowmasters, K&N, ASP puleys, Maximum Motorsports C/Cs strut tower K member brace, through floor subframes, Grant wheel, billet pedals, 93 seats, Keystone rims
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:46 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

That seems to be a good choice. MSD has a good rep and seeing as how you have an 83 stang I guess if it had a rev limiter it would have been in the ing system. I've got the 6A myself

It booggles me when I see the 6AL teamed up with the EEC-IV computer? Seeing as how it already has a rev limiting device built in?
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 06:29 PM   #3
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

I also have the 6A, but if I had it to do over it would be the 6AL with the rev limiter.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT

'85 GT 13.20 @ 105.8 / '72 Mach1
Long list...check website!!
My Website
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:44 PM   #4
Five0
Registered Member

I have the digital 6+ and I like it better than the 6a or the 6 al and you can adjust both rev limiters buy turning the dials.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 08:32 PM   #5
Sweet T
Registered Member

I too am purchasing a 6AL soon. Just curious phantom5oh, what kind of times are you turning with your setup??
Sweet T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:15 PM   #6
n8s_stang
Registered Member

The 6AL is a great box, but if you ever plan on bottling your car go for the Digital 6. It has a timing retard and a few other options, it is an AWESOME box.
n8s_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:24 PM   #7
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I was thinking of getting a MSD also, I heard great things about the 6AL, I dont plan on doing too much, maybe heads/intake or blower. How hard is it to install one of these things and what stock parts come off after u put this on? I have been debating it for a while cause I wasn't sure of the benefits. I heard the car runs more effecient and gas mileage increases a bit in some cases?

Thanks
Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties
Flowmasters
All Power
Super Chip

SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:54 PM   #8
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Why have a 6AL with EEC-IV?
EEC-IV's rev limiter is fuel cutoff, 6AL's is ignition cutoff. If you're running boost or nitrous, fuel cutoff could cost you a new motor (extreme lean) whereas ignition cutoff won't hurt anything.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 10:43 PM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Hmmmm.., but the factory shutoff is at 6250 rpm. If you haven't altered the factory rev limit then what are you going to set your 6AL at? 6000 rpm. The engine is still going to hit 6250+ if its got any momentum and your still going to run into a lean condition if your using nitrous. IMO a super-charged engine sucking in empty air is going to be just as lean as a N/A engine sucking in empty air (which is about a All:0 a/f ratio).

Other than the rev limiter I don't see any advantage to running a 6AL over the 6A. Now combine the 6AL with an Extender or some other similar device where you can eliminate the factory fuel cut-off and just use the 6AL's ign kill then that would make sense rather than short changing the engine on RPM.

Hey Smokey, you can get a harness that just about plugs the whole system in from MSD. that way if the box fails then you just unplug the system and keep on roll'n.
Old 03-16-2001, 11:00 PM   #10
84_GT350
Registered Member

I've got a 6A but if you race the car at all I'd step up to a 6AL. And MSD's rev limiter is soooooo much better than Ford's. What the hell were they thinking...shuting off the fuel? That'll hurt even a N/A motor, let alone a boosted motor. MSD's limiter drops sparks to cylinders randomly (hence the "soft touch" name). Oh yeah...the 6A was a breeze to hook up with an MSD distributor.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 11:20 AM   #11
84GT350VERT
Registered Member

Hey 84_gt350, which dist did you use? I am looking at them and MSD makes 4 of them. looks like #8479 will work and has vac advance, but does it came with steel gear or do I have to change it? Thanks, Dan

------------------
GT40X,PERF RPM.750 Holley,MAC,X-303 cam,3.73, 13.6@103
84GT350VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:11 PM   #12
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 84_GT350:
I've got a 6A but if you race the car at all I'd step up to a 6AL. And MSD's rev limiter is soooooo much better than Ford's. What the hell were they thinking...shuting off the fuel? That'll hurt even a N/A motor, let alone a boosted motor. MSD's limiter drops sparks to cylinders randomly (hence the "soft touch" name). Oh yeah...the 6A was a breeze to hook up with an MSD distributor.

They were probably thinking emmissions and really hot catalytic converters if unburned fuel was forced into the exhaust, besides you need fuel to create a really lean fuel mixture. Cut off an injector and theres no fuel to create an excessively lean A/F ratio. Through a wet nitrous setup into the mix and we'll thats another story (kaboom)
Old 03-17-2001, 06:13 PM   #13
MiracleMax
Registered Member

that was throw and well, not through and we'll
Old 03-18-2001, 04:23 PM   #14
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Great, I think I might get the digital 6+ so I can adjust it with the turn of the knob. I still need to do some more research, but I'm gonna get an MSD box. What do I need to do to get rid of my factory Duraspark stuff. I already have a Mallory distributor, but I want to get rid of my Duraspark box thats on the passenger side fenderwall. Sweet T I run 11's with my setup. Its going in for a roll bar pretty soon, cause I can't run it on the track or I get booted.

Phantom5oh

------------------
1983 GLX Convertible 5-Speed, knife-edged crank, internally balanced, TRW 11:1, custom cam, ported Windsor Jrs, Manley Valves, CCs roller lifters, dual springs, ARP stud kit, 600cfm Edelbrock Torker 2, Mallory Ignition, Canton 7qt traps windage tray baffles, Hooker Super Comp Headers 1 5/8 primaries 3" collectors, Flowmasters, K&N, ASP puleys, Maximum Motorsports C/Cs strut tower K member brace, through floor subframes, Grant wheel, billet pedals, 93 seats, Keystone rims
Old 03-20-2001, 02:06 PM   #15
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Anyone???