MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2001, 10:26 PM   #1
relliott

Question Door handle woes

Okay guys/gals. You probably don't get this one too often, I've got a bone stock 89 Notchback. Yes, even the stereo. It's in mint condition other than a few minor problems. The main problem that I've got is the drivers side door handle. You have to really crank upward on that thing to get the door to open. Well I took the door apart, and can't see what's going wrong internally. The handles themselves are in great shape, but for some odd reason the drivers side handle has two large screws holding it in, while the passenger side has (factory?) rivets holding the handle in. Passenger door works great. Anyway, hoping you all can help me out- I just got this thing and I work with ricers and the last thing I want them to do is see me climbing into the window- Dukes of Hazzard style....

-------------------------------
89 Notch 5.0 Bone stock
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 (rare)
90 VW Jetta diesel (191K miles, 45 MPG)
87 Olds Cutlass
84 Olds Cutlass
87 Bayliner 2250 Cuddy
Old 10-18-2001, 11:03 PM   #2
nerpall
Registered Member

Sounds like there was a previous problem with the handle. The rivets are factory (1/4" I think). There is a rod that fastens from the handle to the lock mechanism. It might be bent. Otherwise the handle may be broken. Take out the screws and inspect the handle. Be careful not to let the rod drop or you will have to fish it out from the door pocket. When you put the handle on be sure to use stainless bolt, nut and lock washer.
nerpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 12:23 PM   #3
stock89
Registered Member

Angry

Alright, now I have a real problem on my hands. I went out this morning to go to work and as I lifted on the handle something obviously went loose and the handle doesn't fell like it's connected to anything. The inside door handle isn't working either. How in the heck do I get the door trim off if I can't get the door open!

-------------------------------
89 Notch 5.0 Bone stock
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 (rare)
90 VW Jetta diesel (191K miles, 45 MPG)
87 Olds Cutlass
84 Olds Cutlass
87 Bayliner 2250 Cuddy
stock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 02:56 PM   #4
stock89
Registered Member

A closer look reveals that the actual door handle broke where it pushes down on the unlatch rod. New door handle ordered, now the challenge is getting the panel off....
stock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 01:01 PM   #5
nerpall
Registered Member

The door skin is easy. Remove the door handle (a few screws only). The interior panel is held by press in clips. Pry them off slowly and you should be able to simply press them back into place. There is a plastic film between the interior panel and the door structure you will need to peel back also. Get an extra set of hands and the jobs will go much easier than you expect.
nerpall is offline   Reply With Quote