MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #1
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Default Driveability issues...Please help for once.

You know I am really disappointed lately in MW. I used to get more than enough help and advice from this site, and lately, my last 5 posts have been ignored...hopefully SOMEONE will help me here. HEre we go.

I am having some drivability problems I was hoping someone could help me with. Here is my combo:

Coast 306
Probe Forged pistons fly cut to .560
Stock Crank
Stock Rods
ARP main, rod, and head bolts
BD-11A Supercharger w/ 9# pulley
Blower Cam (.512/.512 288/288 114 lobe separation)
TFS Street Heat Intakes w/ spacer
TFS TW Heads
BBK 70mm TB
FRPP 70mm MAS
Cobra Computer
K&N Filter w/ Powerpipe
FRPP 1.6 Roller Rockers
Vortech 12:1 FMU (or whatever ratio is for 24#)
Powerdyne bypass valve
FRPP 24# Injectors
FRPP 190 lph fuel pump
Billet Adj. Regulator
MSD 6BTM Ignition
Accel 9mm wires
Accel Cap and Rotor
Long Tube Headers
2 1/2 Cat back

My problem is this. My car misses and hesitates under little or no throttle. When I floor it, it clears up and screams. Sometimes I will smoothly accelerate up to 4000 or so and it seems to surge. I also have NGK FR5 plugs gapped at .035, set my timing at 12 degrees with my BTM set at 1 degree per lb of boost. My Fuel pressure is set at 50 psi WVO. That is what it was dynotuned at. Are my plugs too cool? Is there not enough or too much FP? I don't want to lean it out with the 24#ers. Any suggestions?

Also...why do I only see 6#? My bud has a 91 LX with a Vortech 8#, powerpipe, same combo as mine but with AFR 165's and Performer Intake...he sees 9#. WTF?

Thanks guys.
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

1997 Honda CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird
162 hp
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
b055
Registered Member

my combo is VERY simmilar to yours.. maybe i can help at least a little. i'm using 42's and no btm or fmu.. i have a chip tuned for it but it runs better sometimes by just retarding the timing. (depends on the weather)

first.. check to make sure there are NO leaks between the mass air and TB ... next make sure the bypass is not backwards...

try ngk b9es plugs.. or autolite 23's...

a lot of time the btm will give ya trouble so try unhookign it and just retard your timing.. you will have to idle it up some but it should be ok..

e-mail bar5516@aol.com if u wanna talk about it some more.. i've been through just what u have so i might can help.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
stang_racer20
Registered Member

sounds exactly like what im going through right now. its your stock computer. it doesnt know you have all these mods so, it runs it like a stock engine. either get a chip programmed or like me get the tweecer engine managment system(i got the RT one). also some upgraded injetors could help you out too!
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
Chris_H
Registered Member

I am guessing your Mass air meter is calibrated for the 24# injectors correct? Also, when you put on the powerpipe, did you have to extend the wires for the mass air meter? If you did, how did you put the wires back together? I used butt-connectors on mine and I was having the same problems you are describing. I ended up having to soder (spelling on that??) them and it runs great now. Just a thought.

chris
Old 10-12-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

To answer the last part of your question, boost is just a measure of backflow, not horsepower or airflow. Different combos (even if only slightly different) will generally make different levels of boost, because if the engine swallows more or less air, the boost level in the manifold will change.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: