MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
punter
Registered Member

Question Dump EGR Spacer

Hi there. My name is Jol and I'm from New Zealand. I have owned for 10 years now a 1971 XY Ford Falcon which i have installed a 5.0L and T5 a great combo. I have been getting the 5.0L Mustang mag; and have noticed that some guys don't run an EGR or spacer. Is this because they are running after market heads and can't use there Air Pump circuit and effectively their EGR. I ask because i have removed mine and have disconnected the EGR. Can i remove my EGR spacer and bolt the throttle body straight onto the manifold? Can anybody help...
Old 02-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
tmoss
Registered Member

Yeah, you can get rid ot it if you find a way to mount the throttle bracket. Some comapy (don't know who) seels an EGR elimintaor which is a thin spacer with the throttle bracket on it.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
eeh102582
Registered Member

what purpose does it serve to get rid of it do you gain more power?
eeh102582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

You will also have to get a simulator for the plug that goes in the EGR. Otherwise, it will always setoff a Check Engine light. I bought mine off of Ebay for like $35.

and yes, you can bolt the Throttle Body to the maniford without the EGR no problem. Will need shorter bolts of course.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
tmoss
Registered Member

No real power gain from getting rid of it.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

Old 02-27-2004, 04:14 AM   #6
mustangman4
Registered Member

Yeah you could bolt the throttle body straight onto the manifold but your throttle cable bracket would have no place to bolt to or less you have a cobra intake or planned on rigging it up somehow. So you need an EGR blockoff plate or EGR spacer eliminator. Found on the webpage listed below. EGR on a naturally aspirated anything will give you better fuel economy and thats about it also effects NOx levels(emmisions) Its job would be to recirculate exhaust gases to be burnt again. It does a pretty good job. BUT when you start getting a little bit quicker and start to tune the car yourself and maybe take it to the dyno and drag race on the weekend and take the car out on road courses it can start to hurt you. Reburning exhaust has a drawback. It creates a lean condition. Lean is very bad or less you can tune around it. An old theory was at WOT for about 13 to 15 seconds a factory Ford processor would activate the EGR for emmsion reasons because at that point you are just dumping fuel in and could reburn it. Well that is what we do with mustangs we take them down the track for 10-15 seconds at a crack in the quarter mile. When it turns EGR on and the motor goes lean watch out especially in supercharged applications. That is where a tuning device comes in handy because you can actually watch the oxygen sensors go lean at some point. All in all stock trim mustang dont even bother, highly tuned and modified maybe want to clean up the engine compt yeah go for it.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/...ucts.asp?id=77
Old 02-27-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
tmoss
Registered Member

At wide open throttle (WOT) the EEC IV does not use the EGR emissions system and it also ignores the O2 sensors. The 87-93 cars EEC has a set of spark and fuel tables used just for WOT conditions. Shoulda known UPR would have that stuff.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
mustangman4
Registered Member

Actually I meant to write in theory after being in WOT for 13-15 seconds EEC would turn on EGR to try to clean up emmisions going out the tailpipe. In turn creating a lean condition. This theory came from my Ford instructor in school. I have never proved to myself right or wrong if my theory holds any water. Thanks for the info Tmoss.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #9
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangman4
Yeah you could bolt the throttle body straight onto the manifold but your throttle cable bracket would have no place to bolt to or less you have a cobra intake or planned on rigging it up somehow. So you need an EGR blockoff plate or EGR spacer eliminator. Found on the webpage listed below.
Yep, he is right, I forgot about that

I did mine because, I no longer had anything left of the emmissions system and wanted to clean up that area a little. Gives me a little better access to the FPR.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangman4
Actually I meant to write in theory after being in WOT for 13-15 seconds EEC would turn on EGR to try to clean up emmisions going out the tailpipe. In turn creating a lean condition. This theory came from my Ford instructor in school. I have never proved to myself right or wrong if my theory holds any water. Thanks for the info Tmoss.
As long as the TPS shows higher than about 3 volts (WOT point for the EEC) then the EGR will not be used until TPS volts drops bleow that. It does start working again as soon as you take your foot out of the throttle. You can find some good stuff regarding the EEC at:

www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine

Old 02-28-2004, 11:08 AM   #11
mustangman4
Registered Member

3 volts is all it takes to go WOT. Hmmm Thats interesting. So with that said I soon as you shift the EGR can come back on?

Brad
Old 02-28-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
tmoss
Registered Member

If by "shift" you mean let off the throttle, thereby lowering the TPS voltage, then yes.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #13
punter
Registered Member

Smile Thanks for your replies

Hey thanks guys. The only reason I asked is if I get after market heads and a manifold with on facilities for admission control then the EGR is useless apart from holding the throttle bracket. I use a linkage setup for my throttle so the EGR really is useless. Yeah, now I can go and buy a big throttle body, dump the EGR which will tidy up the engine bay and save money on a new spacer.
Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #14
byrnech
Registered Member

Not having the EGR will throw a check engine light as said earlier in this post, but it also pulls out ignition timing as the motor revs. So it actually can hurt performance. I have mine taken off and am going to get a chip that turns off the EGR and all emissions perameters.