MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-05-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
Trojanman
Registered Member

Default <e351><ford><svo><rollerrockers??

I have a set of E351 SVO roller rockers and I installed them by
snugging down the pedestils and turning over the engine to tdc.
Setting the first two valves to 15lbs but found the intake valve
was moving down . I put shims(two thick ones) under the intake and it was ok.Went to the next valve and the same thing.........DO I NEED TO SHIM THIS WHOLE DAM VALVETRAIN OR WHAT??

1993 Mustang 5.0 stock every thing

Last edited by Trojanman; 04-05-2006 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: WAS WONDERING IF THEY FIT...forgot all they infoo
Trojanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: <e351><ford><svo><rollerrockers??

Your method is off a little bit. First off, undo all the rockers that you just installed. If you can, use an oil pump primer to prime the system good to pump back up any lifters that you may have collapsed. Now, cylinder by cylinder do the following:

Roll the motor around (clockwise when looking at the front of the motor) until both lifters for the cylinder are on the base circle. You may need to gently push down on the lifters to make sure they're moving in the bores.

Now install the pushrods for those two lifters and begin to assemble the rocker/pedestal. As you gently begin to tighten the pedestal bolt, simultaneously spin the pushrod between your thumb and forefinger. When you feel the slightest drag on the pushrod, that is the zero lash point. From there, tighten the pedestal bolt to 15 ft-lbs. If it takes more than 1 full turn to reach the 15 ft-lbs you'll need to shim the pedestal. If it takes less than 1/4 turn, you've either got a collapsed lifter, you've started way past zero lash, or you'll need to slightly mill the pedestal. I try to get all lifter preload consistently at 1/2 turn.

If you're not confident on locating the base circle location, use this method ONE lifter at a time. Rotate the engine until you see the exhaust lifter move upwards about 0.090" then install the intake rocker using the same tightening technique. Then continue rolling the motor until the intake lifter has completely opened and is within about 0.090" of being fully closed then install the exhaust rocker.

Regardless of what method you use, do it one cylinder at a time with all remaining rockers off the motor so that you don't collapse any lifters under spring pressure as you roll the motor over.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
Trojanman
Registered Member

ok Jeff thanks for the reply, but I did kinda the same way by lining up the timing marks
to tdc and tightning down the pedestal bolt to 15lbs not more then a full turn ... but
I knowtest that my valve moves down also..to me this is not right because that valve
should be compleatly closed at that point...also I made shure not to be out 360... so
I was wondering if it is a roller rocker set off a 351 w/ shorter push rods, because the
blue roller rocker set says Ford E351 SVO 1.72 on each one...I think the last heads they were on was a set of GT-40 cast heads......I dont know but Im ready to throw my stock crap back on and start driving...but I will wait for your reply
Trojanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

You've got to find base circle for each and every cylinder, just not TDC on #1. Follow my instructions for each and every cylinder.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote