MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Skywalkr57
Registered Member

Default home porting E7's

alright, my friend gave me his old E7's for my bday to port but im new at it. ive had them hot tanked and glass beaded. i want to put bigger valves in, maybe 1.94 1.60 im not really sure. should i port them, then get the machine work done for the valves? what should i be focusing on while doing the job, ive heard mostly exhaust side and getting rid of those bumps or whatever those things are can be beneficial too. i bought the holley systemax I package and put all that stuff in (as you can see from my list of mods) but im not getting the results i want. everyone is just telling me that the cam is too big for the stock heads. this is why i want to get this done. i just want to wake this thing up. i spent a ton of money this winter and didnt gain squat at the track. i went from a 14.4@ 95 to a 14.3@98. the first time is with headers, gears, pulleys, cold air. tell me what you think. by the way my cam has .220 duration and .512 lift. thanks
Holley systemax I, cold air induction, 76mm C&L MAF conversion, underdrive pulleys, 24# injectors, 190lph fuel pump, equal length shorty headers, off road h-pipe, force II catback, PRO 5.0 shifter, fuel pressure oil pressure & water temperature gauge, crane valve springs
Skywalkr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Is the holley systemax 1 the holley intake and cam? If so you really should have gotten the systemax 2.... the heads will really wake up your combo! I dont think you will see the results you want from porting stock heads although it will be better than what you have now.
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

Have you been to www.fordmuscle.com ? Go to thier archives section and check out the articles they have on home porting. You won't get the same performance that you would see if you bought a set of aftermarkets but you should gain 20hp.
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Port them first then take them to be machined for the bigger valves that way they can clean up the valve seats that might get damaged from porting. Definitely pay the small fee and get access to the articles on fordmuscle.com. I did this and it helped tremendously. Do a search here and that will help also. I asked some questions a few months ago before porting mine. Definitely grind the thermactor bumps flush with the roof making a smooth transition to the bowl. You can work on the valve guides by grinding them down a little and tapering them like a teardrop but that takes a lot of time. You can also open up the port openings a little but probably not too much because you don't want to loose velocity. Do the searches above to find out more specifics or email some people who have done it.
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Well I did the Home port Job then I ended Up geting a new heads hehe I got it as bit better like 8% so I when and got the AFR heads hehehe good luck tho it was fun and I learned alot as well.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote