View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default Edel. non-smog to AFR smog legal heads? What do you guys think?

Hey guys, I'm currently running the Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum cylinder heads w/ 2.02/1.60 valves, stud mounted. The rest of my mods are in my sig. These CA. smog laws are driving me nuts though! There is pretty much no way to my knowledge, that I can get my rebuilt motor w/ the big valves, B303 cam, no cats and all of my smog stuff removed...to ever pass smog. The "test only" centers that I must now go to are definitely more strict with their testing. Are there any "tricks" I can do to possibly help me pass at least the tailpipe sniffer? I know retarding the timing some can help. I've heard a hotter spark plug might burn up some unburnt fuel in there too...but I already have a Crane HI-6 so I'm, sure the spark is sufficient. Are there any "magical" additives that I can add??

Basically I'm thinking of selling my non-smog legal Edel. heads (only 20,000 miles on them if anyone is interested) & putting a little more money with that to get some emissions legal 165cc AFR heads w/ 1.90/1.60 valves. The AFRs seem to outflow my Edelbrock heads on the flow charts even though the AFRs have smaller valves. Actually I guess it's just a smaller intake valve the AFRs have really. Do you guys think I'll see a drop in power with the AFRs, or is their the tiniest chance that I'll see an improvement in my ET?! I know AFRs kick butt, but I will also be putting back on my smog pump and all that disgusting plumbing + some pricey aftermarket catalytic converters. I'd imagine I'd lose some power there?? I just hope the AFRs can somehow make up for the loss of power from the smog equipment. What do you guys think? Will my car be slower once it's back to smog legal, as opposed to the way I'm running it now...with no cats, no smog equipment & box stock Edel. Perf. RPM heads (part#6025) w/ 2.02/1.60 valves?

Also, do I want to stick with stud mounted rockers probably? Can someone explain to me what the difference in CC size actually does for performance? AFR lists the heads I'm looking at in 3 different applications.
165cc Street Heads, Stud, 58cc 1402*
165cc Street Heads, Pedestal, 60cc 1472*
165cc Street Heads, Stud, 61cc 1400*
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.