MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-2001, 08:02 PM   #1
john_86stang
Registered Member

Question EEC power relay? Where is it?

I am having the engine shutdown trouble that seems pretty common with the EEC 5.0's I have replaced everything that I know of except for the EEC relay. I just can't find it. My cars dies while driving, no rhyme nor reason cold, hot doesnt't matter. Almost like shutting off the key except the fuel pump still runs, but no ignition and no tach. Interior and exterior lights still on. Sometimes it doesn't crank back up. I have heard this could be a bad EEC realy or even a bad computer. Any help would greatly apprecited. Eapecially if anyone knows where that realy is.
John

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe w/ 2-chamber Flows, No smog pump or A/C, crank pulley, K&N in stock box, adj. FPR, bypassed EGR(coolant) Best Run 14.34 @100.0 MPH (on G-Tech)
john_86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 09:51 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

i just ordered the factory electrical troubleshooting manual for my 93'. its not here yet, but i know it shows the locaton of the EEC relay. I dont know if its the same in your 86, but its worth a shot. E-mail me, and when I get the book(should be soon)ill let u know. Other than that, I belive its under the dashboard somewhere.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 05:37 AM   #3
mikew88gt
Registered Member

I believe the relay is near the computer. Check above the computer in the sidewall area.
If you do gain access to this area try shaking the wiring while your car is running and tapping (no to hard) on the relay/computer to see if you have an intermittent connection or something.
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 09:34 PM   #4
john_86stang
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Thanks guys. I found the computer but I haven't yet found the relay, but I sure it's close. It happened to me again the other day. I pulled out onto the road and when I stomped it, it picked up for a second then just died. And this time it didn't crank for awhile. Well come to find out if I shake the TFI while the key was on I could here some sizzling like wires making a bad connection. And if I unplugged it and then turned the key on then plugged it back in it sizzled even more. Sounded ugly but I had no choice. After the plug and unplug bit When I tried firing it up it hit a lick , then no more. Finally after several tries of plug and unplug, it fired off. I guess it has to be bad wiring, plug or something. That's the second TFI in 6 months. Could the actual connection points on the plug be to loose. Also there is a lot of grease around this plug(looks like dielectric grease. Any suggestions. What about the pickup inside the distributor?
Thanks
John

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe w/ 2-chamber Flows, No smog pump or A/C, crank pulley, K&N in stock box, adj. FPR, bypassed EGR(coolant) Best Run 14.34 @100.0 MPH (on G-Tech)
john_86stang is offline   Reply With Quote