MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2001, 01:30 AM   #1
Black306
Registered Member

Post Cartech/Aeromotive fuel system owners please read!!!!

What fuel pressure do you guys set your base fuel pressure at?

The reason Im asking is cause I set mine to 42psi which is within spec of Ford's fuel pressure setting (I believe its 38-42psi; can anyone correct me please?). That said, a Cartech/Aeromotive fuel system with a regulator set to Ford's spec should pass California emissions (assuming the only change is the fuel system and it passed before hand). Im thinking about working with Aeromotive to supply a fuel system with a nonadjustable regulator. That way, people can have an aftermarket system that can support high horsepower and still be smog legal (visually, that is).

So basically, Im wondering what is the market for such a fuel system. (I would think its pretty big since Aeromotive has only 5 kits, 4 kits for '83-'95 Mustangs and 1 for LT1 owners.)

For those thinking about how to supply more fuel to the engine without an adjustable regulator, you do it with a chip. It should be done with a chip anyway if you have the engine to necessitate an aftermarket fuel system.

------------------
Derek

http://members.aol.com/black306
or now
www.nextlevelmotorsports.com

"Bottles are for babies...real men get blown."

[This message has been edited by Black306 (edited 06-18-2001).]
Black306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 09:40 AM   #2
89Saleen215
Registered Member

Sounds good...I'm going to be looking to do something like that within the next year or so. I've been looking over the adjustable units and haven't been able to determine which one is actually trouble-free. The Kirban seems to be the better of them all, but if your system is setup right you shouldn't need an adjustable unit or a FMU (if running a s/c).

I'd be interested.

Saleen 89-215

Black306 - Still like your Saleen - I still need to get mine painted - hey while your at it - why don't you see about marketing your s/c intake system
89Saleen215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 11:25 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Black 306-

So you are saying that since I have a Cartech fuel system I won't pass the smog test?? Why is that?? What is it about the fuel system that is emissions illegal?? Since I'll be taking the smog test within the next couple weeks I need all the info. I can get. Thanks

------------------
Almost done!
93 GT, Dynamic C4, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker w/SRP pistons, Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers Comp Cam..BBK 70MM TB, ceraminc shorties & H-pipe w/cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 02:11 PM   #4
Black306
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89Saleen215:
Black306 - Still like your Saleen - I still need to get mine painted - hey while your at it - why don't you see about marketing your s/c intake system
Thanks. S/C intake system? You mean the Spearco intercooler?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_ROTY:
Black 306-

So you are saying that since I have a Cartech fuel system I won't pass the smog test?? Why is that?? What is it about the fuel system that is emissions illegal?? Since I'll be taking the smog test within the next couple weeks I need all the info. I can get. Thanks
Out the tail pipe, you'll pass. But if you get a smog tech that is strict, visually you wont. California is THE strictest state when it come to smog. It doesnt matter if what comes out the tailpipe is clean. If a part on the car is not listed to have no effect on emissions, the car fails. The main reason that a Cartech/Aeromotive fuel system fails is because of the adjustable regulator. Goverment officials think that because the regulator can be set in a way that the car would fail out the tailpipe, its not legal on polution controlled cars. (Never mind the fact that if it set that way, the car will run like CRAP!) I would think that most people are going to set their fuel pressure right around a stock setting and calibrate more fuel at high RPMs/WOT using a custom chip. (Thats the best way of doing it anyway.)

------------------
Derek

http://members.aol.com/black306
or now
www.nextlevelmotorsports.com

"Bottles are for babies...real men get blown."

Black306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 03:39 PM   #5
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Black306-

Thanks for the reply. I live in Mass. and we recently adopted your emissions laws. However, we didn't adopt the visual inspection (thankfully). Over here the guys at the shop don't care what is under the hood as long as it passes the sniffer. I am actually going to try and get away with keeping my parachute by moving my license plate around. By the way...you got some sweeeet mustangs. Love the fox-body!

------------------
Almost done!
93 GT, Dynamic C4, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker w/SRP pistons, Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers Comp Cam..BBK 70MM TB, ceraminc shorties & H-pipe w/cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote