MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-29-2001, 07:55 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post PLEASE HELP!! Do I need the smog pump system to pass dyno emissions ??

I should be getting my motor this week and I was wondering if I have to buy the entire smog pump emissions system to pass a Cali type dyno sniff test. I bought my mustang with no motor as an ex-drag car so naturally none of that crap is there. They even took out the cannister purge system. But I do have a 351W smog pump from an old Crown Vic cop car, but that's about it. I'm using the serpentine system with a AC/PS delte kit from MArch so if I choose not to run the Thermactor pump aka smog pump all I have to do is get a different belt. Also, If I choose to try and wing it without the pump how will effect my BBK cats??

------------------
Almost done!
93 GT, Dynamic C4, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker w/SRP pistons, Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers Comp Cam..BBK 70MM TB, ceraminc shorties & H-pipe w/cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 09:15 PM   #2
PKRWUD

I'm not familliar with the laws where you are, but in California, a visual inspection is the first half of the inspection. If any parts are missing or altered, you don't even get to the sniffer. You might want to check with a local shop.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet
My site: JimPorterRacing
RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 01:45 AM   #3
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

You won't get by the visual.
It would pass the sniffer on the dyno if you found someone to to it.
I put my old notch on the sniffer to see.....
W/ long tubes..(No EO#)
no smog pump and no cats....
At idle it was bad...400 ppm HC and 2.02 % CO
But at 2 grand...it went down to 90 PPM
and .25 % CO
W/ cats it would have been no problem.
A Clean pipe test(different car, your vin) runs about $400 if you know people.

------------------
'88 coupe...stock as a rock.
Check out http://www.burnouts.stangnet.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 02:26 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I can get by on the visual portion because we never employed the Cali. visual standards. Massachusetts adopted the Cali. air regulations 2 years ago which include the dyno sniff only. The guys I'm going to see don't even need to open the hood. They lived 2 towns up from my city and gave me a sticker on my last 5.0 which was an 87 w/H-pipe no cats. Hopefully I can get by without the smog pump. I don't want to even think how much it'll be to order all the original 5.0 smog equipment. The previous owner left some sensors on the passenger side strut tower, but the heavier items like the cannister purge he took off.

------------------
Almost done!
93 GT, Dynamic C4, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker w/SRP pistons, Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers Comp Cam..BBK 70MM TB, ceraminc shorties & H-pipe w/cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System
Old 07-01-2001, 11:44 PM   #5
PKRWUD

You'll probably be fine then. The canister purge actually makes your car run richer, so you'll do better without it. A smog pump would be nice though! Anything that dilutes your exhaust with clean air would help! Your best bet will be to have it freshly tuned before you go, and get it as hot as you can just before the test (cold engines emit higher emissions). Good luck.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet
My site: JimPorterRacing
RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 01:09 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

PKRWUD
I agree that I should run the smog and skip the cannister purge. But the problem is that I have no original smog equipment except a smog pump off a 351W Crown vic police car. A smog pump system from the dealer would cost me a fortune, right? What should i do??