MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-25-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

Default How do you get the factory EEC-IV to meter fuel to 7,000rpm's?

I have heard from tons of people that the factory set rev limiter is 6,250 and the car quits metering fuel after that? I don't know much about the electronics part of mustang racing, so I have a few questions. I want my car to rev to close to 7,000 I know the factory hydrolic lifter are done before 7,000 or close to that but I think they'll go past 6,250. I have been on the tweecer.com site and that looks great, but looks complicated. Ford once sold and rpm extender is that avaible? Do custom burnt chips take care of these problems? I would love to go to a mustang tuning shop and get a dyno session and custom chip, will this take care of the rpm limit? Minnesota is lacking professional mustang tuners but I'm willing to drive somewhere. Can you get a good dyno tune and custom chip for under $1,000 thanks to an answers you guys might have.
331 stroker, JE 8.5:1 pistons, H-beam rods, steel crank, main cap, msd with 3step, BBK ceramic long tubes,TKO, 4.30's, motorsport Z303, Victor Jr aluminum heads, crane gold 1.6, southside lift bars, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, centerforce dual friction clutch, Vortech S-trim soon.
93 Cobra needs input is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

The factory rev limiter is set at 6250rpm, the computer stops adding fuel at this rpm in an effort to keep the car from over revving. I'm not an expert on this subject by any means so don't flame me if I don't get it all exactly right.
There's many ways to reset the rev limiter, with the rpm extender from FRPP, a custom chip or one of the many EEC tuners (Speedbrain, Tweecr, PMS, etc.). A rev extender is a couple hundred bucks from what I've seen, which seems way expensive when I can get a Tweecr for about $350 and do a ton more stuff with it. Realistically the best buy right now seems to be a Tweecr or similar setup because, while it's a little more expensive than a custom tune and/or chip or extender from what I've seen, the potential and ability to change settings as you get new parts and combinations is much greater. With a chip you have to get it reburned every time you change something. But, it is complicated and there is alot to learn in order to get your tune right.
FWIW I was at the track last weekend and was talking to a renengade racer and some of his pit guys and they all use the PMS system, both on the renegade car and on their own 12 and 11 second rides.
You don't want to rev a hydraulic roller to 7k. If you want to rev that high you need a solid roller cam. You might want to do a search on the corral on this subject, there ought to be alot of info there.
I'm in about the same boat, all I want is to extend my rev limit to about 6500 (for now ). I'm still researching it and not sure which way I'm going to go. I've also heard that many of the tuning devices like the tweecr, speedbrain et al, are best on a power adder setup and not really necessary on a n/a car.
$1000 is way more than you need to extend the rpm's. Just do a little more research and find the best option for your goals.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:25 PM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

BTW here's a dyno tuning event going on in Indianapolis tomorrow. If nothing else you might be able to get some info about who you can contact.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=188338
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:02 PM   #4
MiracleMax
Registered Member

A chip or a piggyback (like the extender)
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote