MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-19-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
ols0051
Registered Member

Default egr valve question

I was thinking of taking my egr off when I change my intake. What will this do for driveability. I realize I won't gain anything by doing this but It's one less thing under the hood. What do I do with all the vacuum lines?just plug them?
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

If you remove the EGR, you might as well remove all ENTIRE emmissions stuff on your mustang. Leave nothing, because without the EGR, it is pointless and would not work. Plus, it will through a check engine light. You would have to get a sensor (They sell them on Ebay) to turn off the check engine light. It was the very last peice I removed from my car.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
ols0051
Registered Member

I'll look into that sensor or I will just remove the check engine light itself. This sounds like it will work OK because all my emissions stuff is already out. thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

This is the one I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33553

Old 05-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

Plug the vacuum lines but take the EGR gas output port (where the drum looking thing is) and either

1. Drill the drum and get a hose in there so it looks stock enough to fool most mechanics.

2. Or try to attach a hose into the place where the drum has the needle plug.

Why?

So you can take the egr gasses and dump them over the side. If you just plug it, the egr passages inside the motor will fill with carbon and that gas will enter your cats directly (if you have them). Why not take this chance to reduce tailpipe emissions in case you need to deal with the man. While you are at it, plug the pcv ports and attach a new hose to the side of the oil filler neck on the valve cover and dump those gasses over the side too!

Finally, remove the console, flip it over and take out the lightbulb for the check engine light. If your car is running like crap, you'll know it. You dont need some silly light.

I rebuilt an engine by hand over a period of maybe a month and my major complaint is that the entire intake side of the engine inside was filled with black oily carbon! EGR is bad for your motor! Fresh air is what you want flowing into those cylinders. Apparently EGR is good for the warmup cycle but I get by just fine.

Have fun!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
ols0051
Registered Member

Thanks for ther great info, I'm going to order a new upper and lower intake in the next few days which one would you choose. I was thinking of the trickflow street for $350? I'm sure it flows much better than stock,but It also is about $100 cheaper than others. And for the extra 100 I don't think the others flow that much better. I'll also go with a 65-70mm tb. The only mods so far are k&n panel filter, timing 14deg,3.73,5spd,subs welded,1 5/8 shortys, mac off road X pipe, Mac cat-back,msd 6al,msd coil,8.5 msd wires. a/c delete,smog pump the trash, weld draglites,26x10.5 et streets. drive shaft loop. best so far 14.40@95 2.1 60ft. Any ideas pass them on. This winter maybe afr165's.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
5_STRIZ_o
Registered Member

hey whats up i'm new to this site and i have a 91 lx hatch and i removed mostly all of my emission control devices, but there is this pipe that pushes air out ,that is supposed to go through the disconnected air compressor, but instead just makes some crackeling noise if any one knows what i'm talkin about could u tell me what i could do do reduce or just get rid of this sound.
5_STRIZ_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
crazypete
Registered Member

oooooh, thats the air tube for the cats (it comes from below and is plugged into a crossed over air tube. Honestly, if you still have the stock 4 cat h-pipe, you need to reattach the air pump and run a hose directly to this tube or else carbon will clog up your cats and the car will not run!

oooor....

go all the way. Get an off road h-pipe and then toss the airtube in the trash, making sure to close the airtube hookup on the new hpipe.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #9
5_STRIZ_o
Registered Member

yea i put MAC shortys and the mac pro chamber on, i think its just a leak. oh well
5_STRIZ_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
Tripleduece
Registered Member

does anyone know if that sensor will work on sn as well?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #11
Capri306

You guys just KILL ME. Okay, to put you guys straight and stop myself from pulling my hair out and spitting beer all over my keyboard, removing the EGR valve on a stock (or daily driven) Mustang is NOT going to help you out in any way, shape, or form. In fact it could lead to detonation and absolutely will result in higher cylinder head temperatures. There is no debate here as it has been proven.

The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is COMPUTER CONTROLLED, and is NOT having any effect on the intake composition when you stomp on the accelerator. The EGR valve is closed on WOT or hard acceleration. Period. End of discussion. The computer opens it a predetermined amount during cruising and light acceleration - when the engine is warm - to lower peak combustion temperature. This is to cut down on oxides of nitrogen, which are formed when you burn atmospheric gasses at very high temperatures, and contribute to poor air quality. The exhaust gas introduced to the intake is assumed to be "inert" and nonreactive in the combustion process, thereby cooling the combustion process. You can't compare it to adding smoke to a campfire because that campfire ain't burning around 1000 degrees at >500psi. IT DOES NOT "REBURN" THE EXHAUST. If your exhaust is combustible, you have other problems. No rocket science, it's a matter of plain chemistry and common sense.

It's nonsense to think that removing the EGR valve alone will render every other emissions component useless. The PCV valve is considered an emissions piece; one of the first, in fact. They used to dump those nasty crankcase gasses right into the air through a "draft tube" that would run under the car. Nice, huh? Guess my point is that the factory stuff was made to work together, that's true...but each part does something different to help. I just don't see the point in changing factory stuff like this unless everything is changed.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #12
crazypete
Registered Member

Yeah, but after a good 100-120 thousand miles, all that "inert" gas will cover the inside of your intake with basically soot. I saw with my own 2 eyes. I had to scrape it off with steel wool where I could reach and use boiling water for the rest of the intake.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
gmhatr
Registered Member

He is right after about 20k on my intake I pulled it off and was pisted to find out that there was this black oily residue in the intake.
gmhatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #14
ols0051
Registered Member

This egr thing is starting to get complicated. I just was looking in the pages of my favorite mustang mags and noticed some cars had them removed. Lets face it, the cars were people have really cleaned up the engine compartment look nice to work on. As in organized and seem a little more maintenace friendly. I'm getting sick of looking at all the hoses and loose wires. Plus I just got a new intake set and throttle body,the egr spacer is just something else to spend money on something I really don't need. Plus it adds to that clutter thing. But now were getting some mixed reveiws. The last thing I want to do is do this intake swap and have problem related to this egr. But I'm willing to try it.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

I have had ZERO trouble, in the removal of my EGR. But, my car is very heavliy modified , and has no emmissions equipment on it at all. As long as you have that sensor to turn off the check engine light, you should be OK.

But, I agree that it is not a thing to do on a mostly stock 5.0. Only remove it, if you have removed every other thing as well.

They make that sensor for 5.0, I am not sure about mod motor stuff. Give that guy a Email and ask.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #16
ols0051
Registered Member

I ordered that part and I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work I'll go to plan b. The only thing left on my car for emissions is the egr, everything else is off. I don't have to deal with emissions were I live, I also don't put more than 500 miles a year on this car so I don't feel like I'm doing the tree people any harm.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #17
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by ols0051
I ordered that part and I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work I'll go to plan b. The only thing left on my car for emissions is the egr, everything else is off. I don't have to deal with emissions were I live, I also don't put more than 500 miles a year on this car so I don't feel like I'm doing the tree people any harm.
It should run just fine.