View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

Plug the vacuum lines but take the EGR gas output port (where the drum looking thing is) and either

1. Drill the drum and get a hose in there so it looks stock enough to fool most mechanics.

2. Or try to attach a hose into the place where the drum has the needle plug.

Why?

So you can take the egr gasses and dump them over the side. If you just plug it, the egr passages inside the motor will fill with carbon and that gas will enter your cats directly (if you have them). Why not take this chance to reduce tailpipe emissions in case you need to deal with the man. While you are at it, plug the pcv ports and attach a new hose to the side of the oil filler neck on the valve cover and dump those gasses over the side too!

Finally, remove the console, flip it over and take out the lightbulb for the check engine light. If your car is running like crap, you'll know it. You dont need some silly light.

I rebuilt an engine by hand over a period of maybe a month and my major complaint is that the entire intake side of the engine inside was filled with black oily carbon! EGR is bad for your motor! Fresh air is what you want flowing into those cylinders. Apparently EGR is good for the warmup cycle but I get by just fine.

Have fun!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote