MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
95/GT/5.0
Registered Member

Default Elect.cooling fan over-ride

Manual Fan Control Switch Installation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fan is controlled by the PCM and/or the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM), when the EEC detects certain temperatures it will switch the fan to either it's low or high speed settings. The A/C will turn the fan to high speed when it is set to max.
But how can you bypass both the EEC and CCRM and install a manual switch to control the fan operation?

First you will have to disconnect the NEGATIVE battery terminal and locate the CCRM and a pin on its connector.

The CCRM module is located LEFT (you looking at engine) of the radiator reservoir/overfill bottle.

Now that you located the CCRM, remove the connector, you will need a 6mm socket to detach the connector from the CCRM housing.

5.0 models:
Locate PIN / WIRE #17 (GREEN with PURPLE stripe) on the connector, it should be easy to spot, the connector has numbers for each pin.

Next you will have to TAP a wire to #17, don't CUT THE #17 WIRE !!!, you could use a scotchlock connector to tap into it, OR REMOVE about 2 mm of insulation and wrap your wire to #17.

Get a second wire and connect it to a GOOD GROUND, now run BOTH wires into the cockpit through the firewall, choose a spot to install the SWITCH, connect the wires to each of the 2 switch terminals.

Now is test time, turn key to ON, and flip the switch......READY!!!

NOTES FOR 4.6L SOHC and DOHC
Hook into pin#46 on the PCM, that is located behind the passenger side kickpanel. Once you tie into that pin all you do is run it to the toggle switch, and run the other side of the switch to ground.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did this on my 5.0L So I can run my fan and cool down between rounds at the track .Only down-side is, you have to have the key on for the fan to run.With manual over-ride switch in the on position your cooling for will run on high speed.With the manual over-ride switch in the off position your fan will be controlled by the PCM as noted above.

Also helps in the summer time, extra cooling by running fan at high speed at all times.Just curious if anyone has tried this.It's the best and cheapest mod I've installed to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ohmy95.5.jpg (28.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by 95/GT/5.0; 01-21-2003 at 05:24 PM..
95/GT/5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Shaggy
Registered Member

Nice tech tidbit!

I find it easier to run a 12guage from the battery to a 30 amp switch in the car then to the fan on the high speed side though and you don't need the key on for the fan to run biggest downfall is i have come back to a dead battery before accidently leaving it on.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:32 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Someone's been borrowing stuff from my tech tips forum at RHC.

Hmmmmm.

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:59 AM   #4
95/GT/5.0
Registered Member

Shaggy,I thought of going strait to the fan motor too.Only electical work isn't my strong point.I didn't want to take a chance burning up the fan motor.I can read a diagram and schematic and follow directions very well though.So when I came across that tech note at http://www.brothersperformance.com I thought it was a pretty COOL idea.It was very easy to install the switch.On high speed it don't take very long to cool down.Less than 5 mins.I haven't seen any street stangs at my local track cooling down between rounds.Just the hard core guys who trailer their rods.Most using 115 volt blowers.I thought some of you guys might find this info usefull.#17 pin to ground turns fan on,who woulda thought.lol
Old 01-21-2003, 01:41 AM   #5
Shaggy
Registered Member

I think it is cool to knowing the pin outs to do it the next step is to put the electric water pump on too then you can cirulate the water during cool down as well
Old 01-21-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
95/GT/5.0
Registered Member

Shaggy,I hadn't thought about that.COOL idea.Think I might do that to my 94/5.0L that's no longer street legal.The 95/5.0L I installed the over-ride switch on is my street rod.I don't think it's possible to install an electric water pump, being that it still has a/c,alt.,and power steering.Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to install an electric water pump, being that it still has a/c,alt.,and power steering
Why would it be impossible? Shouldn't you be able to buy a shorter belt and just run straight from the crank to the smog pump, or is the smog pump lower than the crank pulley?

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #8
Shaggy
Registered Member

You don't get enough belt wrap on the crank pulley if you try to do it that way red.

Actually Meziere just came out with the one you need it has an idler built into it....
Old 01-21-2003, 10:19 PM   #9
95/GT/5.0
Registered Member

That is the coolest.Shaggy where did you find that?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Shaggy
Registered Member

You can find them on the net but summit should be stocking them by now they are an off the shelf item from Meziere.