MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   electric fan! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=41605)

whitepony 02-21-2004 11:59 AM

electric fan!

i was just woundering what to do to get my fan to turn on auto when car gets to sertin temp??
do i use a themostat if so where do i put it in the block? if so where in the block
hope that all make sence
thanks
-mike

302 LX Eric 02-21-2004 02:16 PM

If you have an electric fan, (i.e. Black Magic) it should come with a thermostat and instructions on where to mount it.

If you do a quick search for 'Black Magic' you'll probably find a dozen good threads with great information on proper setup, thermostat hook-ups, etc.

Good luck,
E

White GT 02-21-2004 10:49 PM

How to install the Flex-A-Lite Black Magic

On mine. Not sure if it's a 150 model. I got a 2-3 inches long wire that i put it through the radiator

Ackbar00 02-23-2004 11:58 AM

Thermostats are gay:D , Just wire it to a toggle switch and wire the postive to a switched source. That way, key on, fan on. Hmmmm , mabey I should follow my own advise:rolleyes: :D (Mine is wired Hot:cool: )

White GT 02-23-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ackbar00
Thermostats are gay:D , Just wire it to a toggle switch and wire the postive to a switched source. That way, key on, fan on. Hmmmm , mabey I should follow my own advise:rolleyes: :D (Mine is wired Hot:cool: )
It's free. So, why don't use it :D

And never those Civic's Powered by hamsters will laught of my pony cause i forgot to turn on the switch while i've looked too long chicks on sidewalk ;)

Always hot is secure but a mess on dusty paking lots in hot summer time

whitepony 02-23-2004 04:51 PM

Ackbar00 so u hooked your fan up by switch ! do u like it like that ?
but did u hook it up to the start switch or how do u get it to come on at start up?? ( were did u wire it to)
and what did u mean by wired hot??
u r way seems the simpelest way!!

Ackbar00 02-23-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by whitepony
Ackbar00 so u hooked your fan up by switch ! do u like it like that ?
but did u hook it up to the start switch or how do u get it to come on at start up?? ( were did u wire it to)
and what did u mean by wired hot??
u r way seems the simpelest way!!

By hot I mean, I dont need a key or nothing. I flip the switch, its on. If I forget to turn on the switch, I got a overheated car:D

I friend has his wired the same way, but to a switched power source, when key is not on, no power. This is the safe way, but I spend a lot of time at the track, so I leave my fan running between rounds. You can do this with it wired to a switched source, but you have to leave the keys in your car. I no like that. Plus, so far, I have NEVER forgot to turn on or off my fan.

GhettoPop 02-23-2004 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ackbar00
By hot I mean, I dont need a key or nothing. I flip the switch, its on. If I forget to turn on the switch, I got a overheated car:D

thats what i had in my challenger. works great, especially at the track.

whitepony 02-23-2004 10:20 PM

well i dont spend alot of time at the track but i do spend alot of time looking at my gauges when i am driving ( about every mile) so i dont think taht i would forget to switch the switch
do u think i should do it that way or not
if i did go to wire it up to a switched source any ideas what one??

i have seen you cardomain page my car was the same blue and silver i didnt like it but now that i see it on another car i love it nice car

thanks
-mike

tmoss 02-24-2004 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how I am going to wire mine up - I think the scheme is pretty slick.....................

GhettoPop 02-24-2004 09:07 AM

nice tmoss, that high speed indicator is key!

Ackbar00 02-24-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by whitepony
well i dont spend alot of time at the track but i do spend alot of time looking at my gauges when i am driving ( about every mile) so i dont think taht i would forget to switch the switch
do u think i should do it that way or not
if i did go to wire it up to a switched source any ideas what one??

i have seen you cardomain page my car was the same blue and silver i didnt like it but now that i see it on another car i love it nice car

thanks
-mike

Thanks for the Props. Color is Reef BLue, and it is da Bomb!:cool:

Id have to check with my buddy, but I belive that he used a wire off his starter Realy??? for his switched source (Cant remember what it is called, where all the power wires com off of, on the drivers side next to the washer bottle fill). Then wirred a switch into the interior. I would use a test light to make sure of the wire though.

tmoss 02-24-2004 01:42 PM

If your only going to only pick up a relay coil like in my design (not add much current load to the circuit), you can get your 12v switched power off the 12v coil circuit.

Ackbar00 02-24-2004 03:09 PM

Yeah, I forgot, I do have a relay in mine. Basicly acts like a fuse

whitepony 02-24-2004 04:28 PM

ok so i just ground the fan then run my power wire to the starter relay then to a switch inside the car?
i hope i have that right!!

thanks guys
-mike

tmoss 02-24-2004 05:13 PM

Nope - you have to use a relay for the fan power and a switch to pick up the relay coil. You won't find a switch rated for the currnet a fan will draw.

whitepony 02-24-2004 06:47 PM

ok so other then the relay i have got everything right??
what is relay coil mean ?
thanks
-mike

tmoss 02-24-2004 10:26 PM

The relay coil is energized by 12v and closes the contacts that put 12v to the fan. If you don't understand this stuff I highly suggest you get some help so you don't burnb up or damage anything.

baskin 02-25-2004 09:01 PM

Four wires to connect and you're done

www.dccontrol.com/kitsr1.htm

RED92LX50 02-26-2004 04:41 PM

This is what I am using, connected to a dual Ramchargers fan:

www.summitracing.com
part #DER-16759
$39.75

Single or dual electric fan, adjustable temperature relay

This Derale relay allows you to adjust the temperature range of the operation of your fan between 150 and 240 degrees F. The thermostatic probe inserts into the fins of the radiator for accurate readings.