MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2001, 02:48 PM   #1
roadrunner93
Registered Member

Post Electric fan question

I want to put an electric fan on my 93 LX. From what I've heard they are worth the money. My question is, do you have to put in a different alternator, or can you run the stock alternator? Has anyone tried it with the stock alternator? I am going to be using March Pulleys as well. Also, who makes the best ones?

------------------
93 LX
1"5/8 shorties, 2 1/2 mandrel bent off road H Pipe, Dynamax cat back, K&N Air silencer removed, Taylor wires, 3.55 gears, Hurst Shifter, March Performance Pulleys
roadrunner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 02:53 PM   #2
ByrdPE
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner93:
My question is, do you have to put in a different alternator, or can you run the stock alternator?I am going to be using March Pulleys as well.
Yes,you will need to install at least a 3G alternator.
Oh,forget about using the aftermarket alt.pullies.
Good Luck!!

------------------
FMS 373,Mac U/D Pullies,B&M shift kit,B&M Trans cooler,
KYB's,FMS 65mm T/B,Moroso cold air kit,75mm Bullet,BBK sub frame connectors,Power-slotted rotors w/performance friction pads
PST performance sway-bar kit,3G alternator,Maximum Motorsports Strut tower brace,Maximum Motorsports G-Load brace
Maximum Motorsports lower control arms,Autometer,oil,H2O,
volt MSD6AL,MSD Blaster coil,'Tiny Avenger'intake pipe

ByrdPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 02:59 PM   #3
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I have the black magic fan, and i love it it has freed up some good hp, and my car almost runs too cool, of course i also added a 3 core rdtr.

As far as the alternator goes, i havent had any problems, but using pullies you (might) need to upgrade it

Also i heard good and bad things about march pullies, im prolly gonna get the "ASP" pullies, and i know there is a few guys here that talk down on the black magic fan because it only supports 225 hp suposedly, but i would say about 300.

If you get the fan, there is a website "flex-a-lite" that can help the installation go a little easier, but it's no problem to install.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 14.20(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph 97.80
Best 60' 2.1
next mods: subframes, 3.73's

90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 04:35 PM   #4
88GT5.013.02

Do you plan on putting heads, cam, intake, and keeping the A/C? If so, then don't go with the Black Magic Fan, I have heard to go with a Mark VIII fan.

In my car I have problems keeping it cool at an idle in bumper to bumper trafic with the A/C on. Other than that, it is a quality piece and works well. So if you are going to run A/C, on a modded car, then go with a different choice.

The reason I have the Black Magic Fan is because I got it for free from my cousin.
Recently I read that the Black Magic Fan is only good for 225 hp with A/C. I would also like to hear more from people with any input.

By the way I have a brand new water pump, hoses, and 3-core alum. rad., so the fan is the culprit of the overheating problem (with A/C on). Other than that I recommend an electric fan and the Black Magic is a good piece, just keep your horsepower level in mind (also if you will be running A/C).

I have the stock alternator with Ford Motorsport pullies and my car charges alright, but I would upgrade the alternator. I am upgrading the alternator to the 3G. I did this on one of our plow trucks and the plow operated much faster (even compared to when the old puny 75 amp alt was new).

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft Only been to the track once still alot more tuning to do and need more driving experience.(Full body weight GT, full tank of gas, and sway bars connected, gonna disconnect sway bars and dip

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-11-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 05:39 PM   #5
jetuomi
Registered Member

I just read on the previous post that SN95 mustangs come with Electric fans, is this true?

I didn't think so, but, hey!
Thanks for your help!!

------------------
1994 Mustang GT
Stock cept for K&N Filter. Working on upgrades thru winter.. Would like ideas! : )
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
Skankin
Registered Member

The SN95's do have electic fans, and they're great... basically the same as the 94+ Mark VIII's, but they fit better.

The 93 Mark VIII had an amazing fan pitch, but it was changed cause it was too noisy. So unless you find an old Mark VIII, go for the SN95.

YOu need the 130amp alt (not all 3G's are 130).
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 05:46 AM   #7
evilstang
Registered Member

Thumbs down

My opinon would be unless you plan on not haveing any kind of automatic control the stock one will be fine. I would suggest running an overdrive pully on alternator with underdrives elsewhere.Look into aluminum radiators you wont even need a fan.

------------------
IF ITS NOT BLOWN IT SUCKS
evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:38 AM   #8
fordgasm
Registered Member

I have a Black Magic Electric fan on my Mustang with alum heads, intake, cam, etc... I have not had any cooling problems with my car. In fact, it now runs about 30 degrees cooler than when it was stock. I do however, have a Ron Davis alum radiator, an Edelbrock water pump and a 180 thermostat. I also deleted the A/C.

The point is, the Black Magic Fan can support much more than 225 HP with the right set up.

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:42 AM   #9
roadrunner93
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies everyone. I do not have A/C. Evilstang, you said if I get an aluminum rad, I wouldn't even need a fan? What do aluminum rads run for? I assume they are around the same price as an electric fan and a 3G alternator. My stock radiator has a very slow leak, and it is dirty so I will eventually need to replace it anyways.

------------------
93 LX
1"5/8 shorties, 2 1/2 mandrel bent off road H Pipe, Dynamax cat back, K&N Air silencer removed, Taylor wires, 3.55 gears, Hurst Shifter, March Performance Pulleys
roadrunner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #10
baskin
Registered Member

you might be able to go without the alt upgrade. see end of the tech section on my site www.dccontrol.com
baskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 PM   #11
White GT
Registered Member

Site look like in construction?

Anyway Alt upgrade is easy to do and more power is not waisting.

Specially if you plan to upgrade to a good stereo system, electric fan and a ton of gauge in your car like i have.

My 0.02$

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote