MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
Conman
Registered Member

Default electrical issues with fuel pump and relay circuit

Here's my problem hopefully someone has some insight.
When I turn the key to the on position the fuel pump does not prime and there is no pressure in the rails.
I thought it was the relay under the seat. Looking at a wiring diagram and using a volt meter I did some testing.

There is power in the Red/Black wire from the EEC power relay. This also runs through the inertia switch so I'm assuming it's good (I don't actually know where it is.)

There is also power in the Orange/Light Blue wire which comes from the battery through a fusible link.

There is power coming out of the relay in Tan/Light green wire.

No power in the Pink/Black wire which goes back to the EEC.

I popped the top off of it and when I turn the key on the relay moves the little switch for about a second and then in goes back to the original position. I would think as long as the key is on, the relay should be closed. Is this my problem?

I also pulled codes 21 (coolant temperature sensor) and 24 (air charge temperature sensor) which I have never seen before and don't know if it is related somehow. Could the EEC power relay possibly be bad?

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The inertia switch is in the trunk\hatch. Close to the latch. To see if that is what's wrong, unplug it and put a paper clip in the plug. Jumping it from one side to the other.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
tmoss
Registered Member

Sounds like the EEC is working correctly. When you turn the key on, power gets applied to critical engine componants through the EEC power relay - that is how power gets to the Red/Black wire. That same EEC relay power goes into pin #37 on the EEC to let it know to prime the pump. The EEC turns the fuel pump relay on for a second or two by grounding the Tan/Light Green wire going to the EEC through pin #22. Sounds like all this is happening, so your problem must be at the relay power contacts (Orange/Light Blue from fuse link OR Pink/Black wire to pump), the inertia switch or the pump.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Sounds like the ignition module o me its underneath the steering column just down from the key.

I was having the exact same problem on my 4 banger and by replacing that I fixed it.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
Sounds like the ignition module o me its underneath the steering column just down from the key.

I was having the exact same problem on my 4 banger and by replacing that I fixed it.
I think you mean ignition switch, and yes that could be a problem too but not likely to be this problem. The "ignition module" is used most often to mean the TFI module on the distributor.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:19 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am just repeating what the moron at vatozone told me.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote