MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-28-2001, 07:36 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Angry Don't you love electrical problems ?

its nothing major but i think there may be a short somewhere...

well yesterday i noticed that my cigarette lighter wasnt working and then later noticed my horn didnt either, they both operate from the same fuse so i figured thats all it was

well i looked at the fuse and sure enough it was blown, so i replaced it and plugged in my cell phone cord into the cigarette lighter, it worked for a few seconds as i pulled away from the place i bought the fuse and when i got on the road i tried my horn and it didnt work! i then looked down and the phone cord power indicator was no longer on, the damn fuse blew again

yes i replaced it with the correct fuse (20A), and both the horn and the cigarette lighter have always worked fine before

for some reason my horn button feels different, i may be mistaken though, can it go bad and cause this to happen?

anyone else have this happen?

thanks

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, full exhaust,65mm TB, Nitto DR's, new best 1/4--> 13.42@106.18 (1.89 short time)
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 07:57 PM   #2
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN
I AM ME!!!!

Red face

ouch. you might want to check the cig wires. you may have melted wires. this can happen if something you plug into the cig outlet shorts it, or if something conductive shorts it and doesn;t blow the fuse. it happened to me when a dime fell in there...

------------------
1993 white 5.0 vert
limited edition
22k on the clock
StOcK

My Mustang
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 09:05 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

thats a good suggestion, i recently pulled the console to change my heater core so a wire may have been shorted or exposed when i did that, i'll check that asap, thanks
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:14 PM   #4
302man
Registered Member

Thumbs up

put in a bigger fuse !!!! LOL I bet you pinched a wire when you did your heater core install.

------------------
302,vortech s trim @18-20lbs showing,edelbrock performer heads-o ringed,gt 40 upper&lower, mac 1 5/8"long tubes, sub frame connectors,50/50 rear, 70/30 front, manual rack,3:55 gears, c4 , best time 10.13@135mph
302man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 10:45 PM   #5
Thad
Registered Member

The dime short just happened to me 2 days ago. LOL!!

------------------
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 03:31 AM   #6
PKRWUD

If the problem was with the horn circuit in the steering wheel, odds are that as soon as you replaced the fuse, the horn would sound. Replace the fuse again, but don't use the lighter. Try this for 24 hours, using the horn sometimes. If the fuse remains good, try using the cigarette lighter (the actual lighter, not something else plugged into it's socket), and see what happens. If the fuse stays good, your phone charger is pulling too many amps, and the fuse size needs to be increased. If the fuse blows, pull the lighter and check for ohms between the lighter power wire and ground. Anything other than infinite means you have a short in the power wire. Trace the wire looking for worn insulation or a crimp somewhere.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 10-31-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote