MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2002, 12:53 PM   #1
toughlilhunny
Registered Member

Unhappy electrical Probs...need help!!!

I'm having some electrical probs on my 91 LX 5.0. My battery keeps draining all by itself...the battery is good and has been charged numerous times, then left over night and is completely dead in the morning. We found one wire fried and fixed it, which i believe went to my headlights, but the batter still keeps draining itself out and can't figure out why!!! Any ideas???
confucious says "why build a 4 cylinder and spend so much money,when you can buy a V8 and have ten times the power...The difference between men and boys is the speed of their toys, injection is nice, but i'd rather be blown, good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.
toughlilhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:03 PM   #2
No Groc Getter
Registered Member

Do you have any aftermarket amps that don't turn off when the key is off? (Look for the power lights). If so they are wired in wrong.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:16 PM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

How old is the battery?
Old 01-29-2002, 05:03 PM   #4
toughlilhunny
Registered Member

the battery isn't stock, but i'm not sure how old it is either. For sure not as old as the car though. The only thing electrical wise that I have is my CD player and that's connected directly to the battery to keep the memory, the stock radio wasn't digital so...
I know its not my CD player, b/c we think that something is rubbing somewhere and and I know if their was a wire in my car that rubbing and burning up I would of smelled it, b/c of the way I am with my car. If u have any more advice let me know. Thanks!
confucious says "why build a 4 cylinder and spend so much money,when you can buy a V8 and have ten times the power...The difference between men and boys is the speed of their toys, injection is nice, but i'd rather be blown, good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:16 PM   #5
No Groc Getter
Registered Member

When you say that CD is wired directly to your battery do you mean that you can play CD's without the key turned on?
Old 01-29-2002, 06:41 PM   #6
joe4speed

Did you replace that entire wire that was fried? If not, maybe it's shorting out somewhere else? And if it had shorted out, it could have hurt the battery so it's not keeping a charge. Electrical problems suck. I would probably take out the battery and alternator and have them tested at an auto parts store, they'll do it for free. Do you have underdrive pulleys on the car?
Old 01-29-2002, 08:47 PM   #7
toughlilhunny
Registered Member

yes i have underdrive pulley's and no my CD player doesn't work unless the car is on
Old 01-29-2002, 08:48 PM   #8
toughlilhunny
Registered Member

yes i have underdrive pulley's and no my CD player doesn't work unless the car is on, and yes we replaced the fried wire
Old 01-30-2002, 01:42 AM   #9
joe4speed

did the 91's come with the 130 amp alternator anyone? I can't remember.
I had to change the wimpy one in my 88 to the 130 amp one cuz it was frying batteries all the time with my underdrives.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:02 PM   #10
toughlilhunny
Registered Member

the 91's didn't have 130 amps, not till 94 and 95