MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2001, 05:13 PM   #1
kenneth kimble
Registered Member

Red face high engine temp?!?

On the 87 GT the factory engine temp gage has a range of 130 at the start to 270, what is the temp in the middle?

------------------
kenneth kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:17 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Is this a math problem?

I love calculus!!!

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 07:43 AM   #3
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

There are 5 lines on the guage. Assuming the bottom line is 130 and the top line is 270. Then each line jumps 35 degrees. So in the middle the temp would be 200 degrees...

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Ah, but not necessarily! Most quality temp. gauges are more sensitive the hotter it gets, so the temp number spacings increase in distance as the temp rises. For example, my Auto Meter Sport Comp goes from 130 to 280, and the point halfway inbetween is 230, which means there is 100 degrees of available measurement on the first half of the dial, yet only 50 degrees on the second half of the dial, and both halves have equal travel distance. This is, however, a mechanical gauge, and it is true that electrical gauges do tend to have their marks spaced evenly, BUT, not always! Besides, the factory Ford temp gauge is well known for not being accurate anyway. If you want to "gauge your gauge", find a reliable mechanical gauge and install it and compare gauges at different temps, or just buy and install a new mechanical gauge. It is very important to be aware of your engines operating temperature, especially with summer here!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:02 PM   #5
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

PKRWUD--As you stated. These temp guages arent worth much. Not very accurate, so I was assuming that each line was consistant. And as you said, yours is marked at a certain degree, the stock ones arent marked besides the 130 and the 270, so there is noway to tell how it reads. So one will have to say that they are the same.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:33 PM   #6
kenneth kimble
Registered Member

THE REASON I ask is because I, like most of you have a sizeable investment in my MUSTANG proformance. I just added TF track heat heads and ATI 9# intercool blower to my 306. Needless to say my little engine warm up has heated things up alittle and I like to know if we are running to hot. My temp gage will go up to the middle and hold????!!!
kenneth kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:47 PM   #7
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Why hell..I wish mine would stay at the middle..I have added a 3-core radiator, smaller waterpump pulley, electric fan in front of radiator, 2 quarts of enginkool, and it still runs over the middle line, I am also running a 160degree thermostat.

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 04:03 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Gentlemen, you both have a very sizable financial investment in your awesome rides, not to mention the endless hours of labor (albeit a labor of love). I would hope that you both would feel you owed it to yourselves, as well as your cars, to spend a fraction more and install a quality set of mechanical gauges. They can truly be priceless. While you're at it, install a vacuum gauge too. A vacuum gauge can be the single best diagnostic tool you own, and it's right there working while you're driving. A couple years ago I replied to a post on this board asking about vacuum, and included some of the uses of a vacuum gauge. I think I'll see if it's still here and re-post it.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet
My site: JimPorterRacing
RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 11:37 PM   #9
Thad
Registered Member

the vacuum is the only gauge that i have installed so far. It has helped me with timing and intake problems. :

------------------
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote