MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2001, 11:38 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Engine oil in my intake upper plenum -please help

I have only one line connecting my PCV to the intake and it is blowing oil up from the crankcase into the plenum on a brand new motor. I called Edelbrock and they said that even the stock 5.0 gets some oil in the plenum from the PCV but I should of used a plate that was included with the lower manifold. I never got that plate from the people I bought the lower from. Has anyone else encountered this problem and what is the potential for hurting my new engine by allowing this oil to keep seeping into my air supply? the oil seems to puddle at the plenum cover. The only way I can fix this is to remove the plenum and lower intake which I'm not thrilled about. Thanks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Join the crowd my man. I screwed my 302 together and fired her up. after a few runs guess what! oil in the intake, without the baffle it'll suck up oil. You could just route the PCV to a breather and let the system evacuate by pressure build up, or intall some kind of seperator inline?

Mount a small reservior on the firewall and route a line to it, then from the reservior route the like to the intake.

To make the reservior work, just put a plate on the block side forcing the air to take an instant 90 degree turn to go down and back up to the intake side the heavy oil will fall out of suspension collecting at the bottom of the reservior.

Anyway as long as the system is closed to the atmosphere it won't monkey with engine calibration.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:24 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. How can you tell if the oil is in the manifold? I could tell because it was seeping through the gasket where the EDELBROCK is imprinted on the plenum cover.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:26 PM   #4
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i bet your running a high pressure or high volume oil pump..im taking mine out..many people taken thier aftermarket and replaced it back to stock oil pumps and the problem goes away

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:41 PM   #5
347MOM
Registered Member

My new 347 is doing something similar. We put on the Victor 5.0 so there is no place for the pcv on the back of the intake. We run a vent off the valve cover to atmosphere but the restrictor was too small and it started leaking oil out the front and back of the gaskets under the intake. We changed the gaskets and installed two vents with bigger breathers and the problem went away. When we first pulled the intake off it had oil in the intake tracks so I think the restricted vent even pushed some oil past the lower head to intake gaskets.
347MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 03:26 PM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

What type of damage can this do? Would this make the engine puff white smoke at startup?
Old 08-02-2001, 05:38 PM   #7
PrplMonster
Registered Member

Funny this post is here, i just emailed the Edelbrock tech support a couple of days ago concerning this exact same qeustion! I asked him why i find a small amount of oil pooled up everytime i pull the plenum cover off my performer intake. His reply was "That is normal to have a little oil in the intake that happens with the factory intakes" I don't know if i realy trust this, but thats what tech support says..
PrplMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:10 PM   #8
crewzin
Registered Member

Amen. I've talked to some real idiots on tech lines before. The worst one believe it or not was at March. It must have been this guys first day on the job. This site has been the most helpful to me so far. I think a hundred peoples experience is way more usefull than one guy reading from a tech sheet. Now I know that there are people on tech lines somewhere that know there stuff and I solute you, keep it up.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:16 PM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

It's true that they hold a little oil. It comes from the PCV valve. But we are supposed to run a baffle under the PCV. My manifold didn't come with one and I ain't tearing the engine apart to install it.