View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 04:35 AM   #1
Sketch
Registered Member

Default Engine transplant across decades and models.

Okay, so, I don't exactly have a Mustang, I'll start off by saying that.

What I do have is a '67 Falcon, and before you laugh, I'll have you know it's not one of those little tiny tin cans of the pre '65 years. This is my baby: http://www.nehantish.com/Falcon.jpg

Well, I've had her for about six years, and she's only run for about five months. My dad tried to fix it, and blew the engine and radiator, so I'm a bit more willing to go with a different engine now than I used to be.

After about two years of searching, I have not been able to come up with a V8 of similar year that isn't a total waste. So, I've been talking with some Aussie friends of mine (The Falcon is still a popular muscle car down there, by the way, and the '67 is considered a great car, at least the XB GT's) and they were telling me that it would be possible to graft an 80's Mustang 302 into what I have now, and it would be far cheaper, and easier to find than a working vintage engine.

Right now, she's got a shot straight six 200 ci engine and an automatic transmission. I'm more than willing to replace both the engine and tranny, but would like to keep it automatic for the sake of not having to rip her to shreds to do the changeover to manual. I'm not looking for a muscle car, but simply an inexpensive engine that can move the car at a decent pace, and won't be sluggish starting from a full stop.

If there's anyone here who can tell me if:
1: it is possible to mount an 80's Mustang engine to a transmission that would fit in a '67 Falcon?
2: how much work would be involved?
3: what kind of transmission would work for it?

Any help would be appreciated. I know I'm new here, and my ride isn't a pony, but you guys looked pretty knowlegable. And if nobody here knows, could you at least direct me to a source where I might be able to find the answers I'm looking for?
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote