MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-05-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

Default engine rebuild help

Ok guys, here's my current combo to be installed. Vortech S-trim 12 lbs boost w/ powerpipe, downs box upper intake, ported gt40 lower intake, bbk 75 mm throttle body, 75mm pro-m blow through maf, Motorcraft 36# fuel injectors, going on my 94 GT with ~90K on the odometer. The car's really only going to see street duty. My friends helping me do the install and rebuild the engine. I hadn't planned on doing anything else for a while but he's pushing for a cam change and 160 degree thermostat. Should I change cams considering I'm still going to be running the stock heads, I really don't have the cash for new heads, or a cam for that matter. And I heard that cooler thermostats promote more engine wear on cars that really don't need it. -Phil
Old 02-05-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

As for the thermostat, it's probably not going to make a difference. As for the cam, are you pulling the motor and rebuilding it? If so, I would say do as much as you can while the motor is out of the car. If the motor is staying in the car, you could wait and do a cam and heads later. The supercharger is going to definately make you pleased with your new setup, a cam will simply help optimize it. I'd wait on the heads and cam as long as you're not pulling the motor.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

A 160 T-stat is not beneficial on a street car. It tricks the ecu into running rich.

Run a 180 T-stat.

And a cam wouldnt help much with stock heads anyways. just get some 1.7 RR to give your stock cam more lift.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

If I do upgrade my heads it'll be a while down the road, not for a few years probably. The motor probably will be pulled for the rebuild though, so that's why he wants to get as much done as possible rather than having to pull it again (not sure I plan on it but he thinks I would). I don't want to run the 160 thermostat but his auto teacher convinced him I'll be overheating without it. So maybe look into roller rockers, and forget the cam as I will not be upgrading my heads?