MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

Default Enging Shutdown Problem..Help!

I have a 1990 Mustang GT. The engine is shutting off and the fuel pump relay starts to open and close very quickly. I jumped the power in the EEC Power relay to rule out a bad ignition switch, and EEC relay. After jumping it I let it run for several miniuts when the same thing happened. The fuel pump relay started opening and closing really fast then the engine died. Has this happend to anybody before? Is the computer cycling the system like an initial prime, or is the computer starting to take a dump? There are a lot of things that are powered off the EEC relay, could any of those things cause this?

...1990 Mustang GT/stock block & cam/GT40P Heads/ford racing headers/bbk high flow h-pipe w/cats/40 series flowmasters dumped/cobra intake/73 c&l MAF/3.73's/24lb injectors/bbk cold air fender mount intake/msd cap & rotor/msd 8mm wires/(soon to have MSD 6AL, not hooked up)/Automatic w/shift kit & cooler............
Lashbrook27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Default Re: Enging Shutdown Problem..Help!

Try changing your fuel pump relay. You didn't say if you have tried that yet. Relay don't always quit woking all at once. Sometimes they are intermittent. Hope this helps.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

The fuel pump relay is good. i get two relays that start clicking. The fuel pump relay and the WOT relay. If I take out either one, I still get the problem. Leaving one of them in helps me to hear the problem. Now if I turn the key on without starting soon after the relays will start clicking. When this happens the fuel pump kicks on. Tonight to rule out a bad fuel pump I am going to cut the wire coming out of the computer going to the fuel pump, and remove the fuel pump relay. If the problem goes away I will drop the tank. The fuel pump was serviced recently when the car came out of storage. The WOT relay is a normally closed relay and the computer opens it when the A/C is on at full throttle. When I turn the key on this relay clicks. It shouldn't do that. Something is shorting out.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

How was doing business with DSS? I am waiting for a quote from them as we speek.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

I didn't deal with them directly. My local shop ordered it for me. Sorry I couldn't offer more info on DSS.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
rivs
Registered Member

Im having exactly the same problem on a 90 gt. Any updates on this will be appretiated
rivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

I replied to you private message but to update for everyone else who may be interested. I was having several problems with my car. The first problem was a starting problem. I fixed that issue first because it was my first problem. Once I fixed that I put the code reader on it. I was getting a code 22 (MAP/BP sensor). Since this only reads atmospheric pressure I picked up a new one. Atleast that is all it does my 1990. Replacing that fixed my other problem. I am guessing due to the bad signal from the BP sensor the computer was going crazy. I hope this helps anybody with a similar problem. I picked up the code reader from Autozone!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
rivs
Registered Member

thanks a lot for responding, Did you buy a stock map or you upgraded to 2 bar?? Ill ask a buddy of mine for his to test it on mine.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

On my 1990 it reads barometric pressure. I picked it up from a local autozone, stock replacement. Not sure why a bad reading from this cause my WOT and fuel relays to start clicking.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
rivs
Registered Member

What was your starting problem?? I installed another MAP sensor, and still the same, also checked the under seat realay and the WOT relay and they are good. removed the ecm and cleaned contacs, jumped the ECM relay and still problem, im going crazy with this. I need an exorcist!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

My starter relay was staying closed, so the starter would stay cranking after the engine was running. I had my starter checked/checked out okay but the bearings were shot/replaced that. Didn't know if ignition switch racall was done, so I picked up a new one. My contacts in my neutral/park safety switch didn't sound good so I picked that up also. There was an aftermarket securty system installed on it before I purchased the car. There were all kinds of splices under the dash, so I removed all of that crap. My starting problem is solved. Is your computer giving you any codes?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Lashbrook27
Registered Member

I wouldn't have replaced the MAP sensor unelss you were getting a code 22. Those things don't typically go bad. start with checking for codes. If you don't have a reader pick one up from autozone. It is pretty cheap and easy to use.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
rivs
Registered Member

you know what?? it also happened to me that when i shut engine off it kept cranking, in a way that i had to put it in gear and let the clutch out and step hard on brakes to be able to shut it off. But it happened only a couple of times, not anymore. KOEO i get a constant 85, i can't do a KOER because it starts bucking and missfiring before it reads anything, and shuts down the engine. Code 85 is canister purge circuit failure, I eliminated all smog equipment and the plug between Engine coolant temp sensor, and idle speed control, wich is for canister purge solenoid is hanging loose. Ill try to find one but i dont understand why it shorts everything out!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: