MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Ever Stretching Clutch Cable Blues

Well I just got finished putting yet another clutch cable in my car. Is there any reason why it could be stretching so fast? The first one i replaced, the cable was adjustable...was all the way to the floor..so i adjusted it at the fork, and then it snapped the same day. The last one i just had in it was a factory unit, and the rubber spacer thing at the firewall was all torn apart. This is the 3rd one i've installed in the past year and half. It already has a steeda quadrant in it, but no firewall adjuster. Im thinking maybe the long tubes are heating it up and stretching it? There were no melt marks, or heat marks on the outside of the cable housing... So im kinda stuck in understanding why these cables are stretching on me so much?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Default Re: Ever Stretching Clutch Cable Blues

Mine broke like 3 times until my speed shop put a thermal sock around the cable, near where the exhaust was and secured it with a hose clamp. After that it never broke again. Mine was a 92 GT Conv. I`d maybe get a month of adjusting before they would break.
Hope this helps

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Radiant heat off of the headers will (over time) weaken the metal in the clutch cable without distorting the rubber casing. It's called pyrolosis. Basically, it's like this. If you heat something to HALF of it's melting point over and over and over and over again, the material's melting point actually lowers to the point where, well you get the idea.

Route it away from the headers, and/or put some heat protection on it.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
9secgt
Registered Member

Lightbulb Re: Ever Stretching Clutch Cable Blues

been there and done that. take some of that expensive fire wrap with the fiberglass on the inside. cover the whole cable and u will never have cable problems again.
9secgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Rosco
Registered Member

sounds like something like that will work. I will have to pick some up this weekend when i get some time off work. Another thing, i was wondering if there is supposed to be a rubber grommet or something that goes into the clutch fork where the cable goes in? I always get this absolutely annoying noise that comes from the end of the cable meeting the clutch fork from vibration. If there is no grommet do you think a little rubber piece around it would be fine?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 07-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
sounds like something like that will work. I will have to pick some up this weekend when i get some time off work. Another thing, i was wondering if there is supposed to be a rubber grommet or something that goes into the clutch fork where the cable goes in? I always get this absolutely annoying noise that comes from the end of the cable meeting the clutch fork from vibration. If there is no grommet do you think a little rubber piece around it would be fine?
NO!!! Rubber down there is a BAAAAAD thing! That has to be a positive "connection" to properly disengage the clutch. A little rubber has alot of give, and you'll be grinding gears.

Here's a little trick I picked up. Use a little Nev-R-Seze on the ball that contacts the clutch fork. Works well as a lubricant, and keeps things working nice and smooth. Are you sure the noise is coming from there, and not your throw out bearing?

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Are you using aftermarket cables or OEM cables? If there are aftermarket, that is your problem - they all suck!!

I went through three aftermarket cables after switching to a firewall adjuster that came with it's own POS cable. Unfortunately, I never saved my factory cable, but had to ultimately buy a new one. No problems at all.

If you are loking for the OEM cable (which works fine with firewall adjusters), just get the FRPP cable/fork kit for about $60, or you'll pay about $150 for the exact same cable at the dealer. The FRPP kit is M-7553-A302 I believe. The OEM cable is E4ZZ-7K553-A. Again, same cable in the FRPP kit and you get a new fork if you need it!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Rosco
Registered Member

ok so no rubber.....never been told that before Anyways, I am absolutely positive it is coming from the cable ball at the clutch fork. Brand new cable makes no sounds, but as the days go on and it gets more worn in and stretched out it makes alot more noise. I still have to pick up a firewall adjuster at one point. The cable that came with the car was an aftermarket adjustable which actually snapped on me. I've been buying oem replacements from advanced auto for 22.95. They don't seem to snap or stretch as fast, and they have a 1 year warrenty...So if they stretch before it goes off the road i can always go get a new one for free