MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
Niceride1994
Registered Member

Default Exhaust for my 5.0?

Is borla worth the extra money versus Flowmaster exhaust??? I have a 1994 gt and i just got it so which should i go with???
Thanks
306' ported and polished heads gt-40 intake upper and lower, aeromotive FPR, bbk cold air, 36 LBS injectors, MSD- ignition, T5 Tranny, Aluminum DS, 8.8 3.73 spool rear end, Nitrous Works 175 shot, Mickey Thompson 26x10x15 at 8 LBS. Ran a 11.23 @120.5mph
0-60ft in 1.47

Sold My 1994
Niceride1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:35 PM   #2
mongo
Registered Member

Default exhaust

niceride1994,:

I've heard good things about Borla but I personally haven't had any experience with there system.

If you want an extremely nice sound coming from those pipes, my recommendation is to go with Bassini ( I currently have 2 1/2" cat-backs on my 93'). They have a nice deep growl to them and you would probably be looking at a 25-35 horsepower jump with additional mods (headers,air intake, pulleys, rear end gears...etc). They are quite expensive but well worth it.

You make up your own mind, do research, ask around. In the end, lose that stock exhaust system, it's robbing your engine of performance and power.

Mongo
93' LX (The Green Monster)
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

You may have anticipated someone voting for the flows. That would be me. I love my two chambers. And they are reasonably priced.

If you want more power, get an off road x pipe. If you want a decent power increase and great sound, get an off road h pipe. The x pipe is not as loud as the h, but it does make more power.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Just go with what you think sounds the best. The most any cat-back will give you is about 5-7hp. If you really want a boost in hp, get a off-road H-pipe

BTW Mongo gears don't add hp.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:13 PM   #5
Niceride1994
Registered Member

Thanks for your guys help... I am going to look into Bassini exhaust bcause i never heard of them before... I really want to get a h or x pipe but i cant do it because of where i live. I wont pass the polution thingy... lol but hopefully with this weeks pay check we will order some exahust. I am still leaning towards the flowmasters i really like the way they sound and i have heard really good things about them... So who knows only time will tell i just got this car so i used to have a import so this whole new muscle thing is really new to me. but in the end i will keep you guys informed and keep the sugestions coming...

Thanks for your help!
306' ported and polished heads gt-40 intake upper and lower, aeromotive FPR, bbk cold air, 36 LBS injectors, MSD- ignition, T5 Tranny, Aluminum DS, 8.8 3.73 spool rear end, Nitrous Works 175 shot, Mickey Thompson 26x10x15 at 8 LBS. Ran a 11.23 @120.5mph
0-60ft in 1.47

Sold My 1994
Niceride1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:24 AM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Many people in polution controled states test with their stock H-pipes in place then put the off-road one back on. You don't have to test that often and instaling a H-pipe is a pretty simple task(self eveident, no directions needed)

You could always one with hi-flow cats, either would be a major improvement.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

I have flowtech headers ,mac off road pipe and mac cat back andI love the way it sounds. and for the price for the whole setup you cant beat it a borla cat-back will cost almost as much as my whole setup if not more.... and for the power well Idont know what I gained from it all but it was more then enough to feel. not to metion it helped beat a few cars thatI could not beat before it on...

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:45 PM   #8
WyldeBLS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by explicitone
I have flowtech headers ,mac off road pipe and mac cat back andI love the way it sounds. and for the price for the whole setup you cant beat it a borla cat-back will cost almost as much as my whole setup if not more.... and for the power well Idont know what I gained from it all but it was more then enough to feel. not to metion it helped beat a few cars thatI could not beat before it on...
Hey bro. Where did you get your Mac stuff? My buddy has the Mac catback on his 1989 IROC and it sounds mean as hell compared to stock. I can't find where to buy their stuff though.

Thanks for the help.
WyldeBLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:09 PM   #9
explicitone
Registered Member

I got my mac h-pipe and cat back at a local speed shop(street stuff ) but if you can pick up a copy of mm&ff they are a few companys that sell them and the mac website has it all

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:27 PM   #10
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Got my MAC from www.mustangwarehouse.com...Free shipping too! Bought mine for 269 and it has been great for the price.

Have BBK headers and looking forward to putting on my BBK x-pipe. Should be sweet.

My friend has the BBK h-pipe and it sounds really badass, jut a bit too loud for me.

Thanks,
DoranW
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:54 PM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Exhausting decisions

Niceride1994:

Exhaust systems can get expensive. Choose carefully.

I have the DynoMax Super Turbo cat-back and I like it but it's subtle and not as loud as Flowmasters. Sound quality is very subjective and what sounds great to you might sound like crap to me - or vice versa.

The biggest power loss in your stock exhaust system isn't the mufflers, they're the least restrictive part of the system. It's the catalytic converters. Next are the stock headers.

If you just want a louder car, go for Flowmaster mufflers but don't expect a noticable power gain from any aftermarket cat-back system.

Better to invest in steeper rear gears for a noticable et improvement, then underdrive pulleys, then exhaust, then maybe, a cold air kit.

Remember, a loud exhaust won't make your Mustang any faster but it will invite races - and cop attention. Be careful what you wish for.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:22 PM   #12
unsquare
Registered Member

Default flowmasters

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Just go with what you think sounds the best. The most any cat-back will give you is about 5-7hp. If you really want a boost in hp, get a off-road H-pipe

BTW Mongo gears don't add hp.
Flowmasters are good noise makers but that is where the benefit ends. Their flow numbers are only marginally better than the stock system. Dynomax has great numbers for the price, so does Magnaflow.

I know a great place to get a good deal on the Magnaflows. Those are what I bought.