MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2001, 09:09 AM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Red face Exhaust questions....Semi-long

Well after getting a scare from one of the previous posts regarding a $10,000 fine for using or being caught with an off road h-pipe, now they tell me, ugh, I was wondering if I should:

A) Stick with my present set-up except for a new set of long tube headers that fit onto my yet to be installed GT40 P heads. (looks like Mac is the only one that would work for this application.

B) Wait and get the Ford racing Shorty P headers and put a new high flow cat system on. Remember I removed my smog pump assembly, so I will also have to get a new air pump etc. (most expensive option)

C) Get the Ford racing shorties made for the gt40 heads, and gut out my original or keep it as is, besides sanding all the rust off, and reconnect all of my smog stuff.

A) will give me the most seat of my pants feel and performance, B) will cost the most,with decent performance, but be completely legal, and finally c) legal if I put my original h-pipe on, but will have the least overall performance of the three, but again will be street legal.

All replies and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Kevin

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip,GT40 P heads, looking at new exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 10:33 AM   #2
gray87GT
Registered Member

Hey Kevin, haven't seen you on here much lately. I am in the same boat as you. I love my off-road h, but is it worth it? I was thinking about emptying out my stock h pipe, but what if the start testing again and I will need it. I don't think we should worry if the smog pump is off, do they ever look under the hood??? I was also thinking about welding some cat heat shields onto my off-road pipe, so it looks like I have them on. No cop is gonna get on his knees and check too closely. If anyone asks why my car is so da*n loud, I'm just gonna say headers and glasspacks.

------------------
87 GT, BBK shorty's, offroad H-pipe, ASP pullies, 70mm T.B., Cobra intake, no smog pump, Windsor Jr irons, Comp cams 1.6 rollers, F303 cam, H.D. export W.P., Tri-Ax, FMS subframes, Battle boxes, SSM liftbars, FMS King Cobra clutch, mass-air conversion, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, BBK fuel pressure regulator, 3/8" no EGR spacer, and other piddly sh*t.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

I'd say get a set of high-flow cats, and you'll have to get a new air pump, otherwise they will clog. You could also get longtubes with the new high flow H, I think.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 02:55 PM   #4
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Hey Gray87GT,

It looks as though you got out all of the installation kinks out, have you been out with it yet, I wasn't sure if this was your daily driver or not. I am getting excited, snow melting,next they clean the roads, and then the new parts start going on, he he...Is it just me, or does it seem as though this site is slowing down a bit, as in number of posts. I think for fun, I will work on my stock h-pipe, and gut it out and see what happens, sand it down and make it all pretty, or do the same and weld the heat sheilds on, I love the sound of my Flowmasters and h-pipe together, I would miss that. Hope to see you on the streets later on in the spring....Just don't think about racing my tank convertible,lol

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip,GT40 P heads, looking at new exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 05:33 PM   #5
gray87GT
Registered Member

Naw, I haven't gotten it out yet....though I start it every weekend. It runs really strong but who knows, it's a whole different story on the street. The only problem so far is the idle, I unhooked the V.C. to T.B. hose, plugged it at the T.B. and it runs sweet. I got a breather for it yesterday, so I hope that will solve the problem.

------------------
87 GT, BBK shorty's, offroad H-pipe, ASP pullies, 70mm T.B., Cobra intake, no smog pump, Windsor Jr irons, Comp cams 1.6 rollers, F303 cam, H.D. export W.P., Tri-Ax, FMS subframes, Battle boxes, SSM liftbars, FMS King Cobra clutch, mass-air conversion, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, BBK fuel pressure regulator, 3/8" no EGR spacer, and other piddly sh*t.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:48 AM   #6
84stangLX

The way i see it is...probably 1 in 10,000 (or probably way more) people get tagged for this because most cops are just too lazy to care. I just put mine on and i don't regret it at all, and i have no worries because although it can happen it is very unlikely especially since i don't get pulled over often. My exhaust isn't ear shattering loud so i'm not worried. I'd think you're more likely to get this ticket if you TAKE OFF your exhaust from in front of the cat and run it that way (i know someone who did this to 2 of his vehicles and drove for 3 years without getting a fine for it...he only got tickets for loud exhaust, not tampering with emissions equipment). There's no reason to be paranoid, but then again if you can afford high flow cats, why take the risk for a marginal gain.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, more coming soon