MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   exhaust system upgrade? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=40014)

Kirb 11-02-2003 07:17 PM

exhaust system upgrade?

Hello all. I have a 1989 GT that has stock system on it, I would like to know what all is involved if I wanted to go without the converters? Will I have to block off anything, mess with O2 sensors and such? Also is there any advice what is a good header at an affordable price and do I absoultly need to have an x or h pipe? Thanks for any help.

erl2589 11-02-2003 07:36 PM

Just bolt it on. There's a place to put your stock O2 sensors. I've heard on a stock motor the stock headers are the best. That's what I'm running. The off road pipe makes a big difference and sounds alot better too. The X pipe may give you a bit more power than the H pipe but it is certainly not "absolutely necessary".

billheis 11-02-2003 08:45 PM

Hey Kirb there are a ton of different headers and exhaust systems and as was stated the stock headers look junky but do a good job on a stocker. A x-pipe or h-pipe and a cat back would be your first to change. Go to stangnet.com and go to reviews and then exhaust and see what others have to say

Ieatcamaros 11-02-2003 09:01 PM

If you want to go without converters, get an off road h pipe. IMHO, they sound better than an x pipe. The stock headers are fine for a stock motor. Unless you plan on doing a good top end mod in the near future, I would get unequal length shorties. But if it were me, I would get some good longtubes, a matching o/r h pipe and a good catback. Can't go wrong with the american thunder catback from flowmaster, even though everyone has them.

Kirb 11-04-2003 09:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys!!

herm93 01-31-2008 08:39 AM

1989 Mustang 2.3L, 4 Cylinder Exhaust Upgrade

I have a 1989 Mustang Convertible, 2.3L, 4 Cylinder. I am trying to see where I can purchase a dual exhaust conversion kit. At the moment, I have a single rear exit exhaust, but would like a dual exhaust. Any suggestions?

USMC302 01-31-2008 10:36 AM

Re: 1989 Mustang 2.3L, 4 Cylinder Exhaust Upgrade

Buy a 5.0?

goodyear1984 01-31-2008 09:32 PM

Re: exhaust system upgrade?

usmc hit tha 1 on the head you should get a 5.0 lmao....the thunderbird turbo coupe came with dual pipes that prolly with minor custom work to the mid pipe would bolt on.not gonna gain anything great motor if u dont wanna go fast. but for the other guy dont get a h pipe get a x pipe not only do they make a few more hp they sound way better.stock headers are fine for your stock motor i got 9hp when i bolted on long tubes.i think one of the hottest set ups is bassani headers,bassain x pipe and flow masters.the sound is amazing. its great if u like the raspy sound and not so much deep.i get complements all the time.