MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2002, 01:53 AM   #1
lever_John
Registered Member

Exclamation 1991 4 cylinder 2.3 L mustang exhaust

Hello I am a new user of this message board, although I have been here many times and found alot of useful information. My problem is how to get off the pipe that joins from the exhaust manifold to the catalytic converter. So far I have removed the 2 bolts that join the exhaust maifold to the pipe. Then I moved down the pipe past 2 small catalytic converters and found where the pipe was again joined to another pipe & took those two bolts out. But I could not seem to separate the pipe there (perhaps it's rusted). So I continued down past the muffler and found 1 screw that goes into the back of the muffler that supports it.
There is a small rod that is welded onto the 2nd catalytic converter that seems as though it could slide out (towards the back of the car).

The pipe that joins into the muffler I have read is welded or crimped so that it cannot come out.

I could use a hacksaw to cut the pipe but I would first like to know if anyone else has removed this system before.

So how do I remove the exhaust system components from back to front?

I broke one of the 2 bolts that join to the bottom of the exhaust maniold (not into the block), to the pipe. What would I need to rent/buy to get it out. I have a set of easy outs but no tap and dyes. I am thinking I could drill the bolt but I have never done this before. The threads in the hole don't matter I can just use a bolt with a nut on the end.

lever_John@hotmail.com
91 ford mustang 2.3 L 4 Cylinder
lever_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
lever_John
Registered Member

Well I ended up taking it to a auto shop to get it fixed. The muffler pipes were just extremely rusted together. The two bolts that had to come out took the guy at the shop 3.1 hours, he broke the same bolt again, then he ended up melting the studs out. Hey my car finally runs great it fixed my noise problem, smells in the cab of the car, low idle problems, and poor fuel consumption problems.
lever_John is offline   Reply With Quote