MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-24-2001, 10:19 PM   #1
sublimelax
Registered Member

Question Important Exhaust Question - Please Read

Hi, I'm new to this board, but I have a really important question and would greatly appreciate it if some people could help me out. I have a '95 3.8L V6 5-speed Mustang. I would like to put dual exhaust with a couple of Flowmasters (either 50 or 30 series) on. I went to a couple muffler shops just asking questions and had three different muffler guys from three different shops telling me that dual exhaust on a V6 mustang is impossible. Two guys told me that the gas tank does not allow for the second exhaust pipe and that I would have to buy the tank off of a GT ($800 is what they said it would cost just for the tank) to have any chance at making dual exhaust work. The third guy said that he knew someone who did put dual exhaust on a V6 mustang and that it cost him $1000 to make it work right again. Now, I have read all over the internet about people doing this exact thing to their V6 mustangs so I know its very possible, but I don't understand how three different guys all told me that it was impossible. I would really like to put dual exhaust on my car, but now I'm just confused on this whole thing. Sorry this was so long, but please, please give me a little info if you know what I'm talking about. Thank you very much.
sublimelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 03:04 AM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

I've seen it done but it wasn't a true dual exhaust. It must be a single in to two out with a flow master muffler model#flo-9424412
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
v6DragRacer
Registered Member

I have a 2000 v6, so there are some differences but I ordered a GT takeoff exhaust from Saleen (very cheap) and took it to the Ford dealership were I bought my car (this is the only GOOD Ford dealership I've ever seen). They sent my car to a custom exhaust shop because I needed stronger hangers (Saleen gave me the stainless steel instead of the cheap crap Ford puts on the v6) and the end result is really nice. So it's very possible to do...check with Ford...
v6DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 04:44 PM   #4
sublimelax
Registered Member

Thanks a lot v6DragRacer. Exactly how much was the take-off exhaust from Saleen? Thanks again
Old 02-26-2001, 12:03 AM   #5
v6DragRacer
Registered Member

Hmmm, i don't remember exactly how much it was, but with shipping and the GT rear fascia it came to about $150. If you live nearer to Saleen, you can go to their shop and get the exhaust sometimes as cheap as $75, unfortunately I'm in Oregon and despite how much fun I'd have driving down there...parents wouldn't let me. Good luck with the exhaust.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:06 AM   #6
v6DragRacer
Registered Member

Forgot to mention...you should ask Ford if they can install it (surprisingly they're cheaper than a professional exhaust shop)...otherwise, ask them where the best exhaust shop is locally that will do it for a fair price. Some shops will charge up to $500 to install if they have to make new hangers...so look around for the best price.
Old 02-27-2001, 01:43 AM   #7
UGA96V6
Registered Member

Those shop guys are flat out lying! I have a 96 with true Flomaster 40's and 3.5in tips. I got the whole job done for 300 including parts. I am sick of these shops tryin to push us sixer guys arround.(As U can see Others have had this problem) No strange parts are needed, they just cut BEFORE the Y in the stock pipes and weld up the new ones. Obviously if 2-3.5 pipes will fit then a new gas tank is not needed. I would go back to them and confront them to try to get a deal.
UGA96V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:20 PM   #8
Fostang
Registered Member

I don't know I'd rather take the aproach of one in two out. I'm thinking your releasing too much back pressure and that will hurt perfomance istead of help it. Thats my opinion but yes it can be done either way.
Old 02-27-2001, 06:51 PM   #9
sublimelax
Registered Member

Fostang, will one in two out help my performance as much as a true dual exhaust though?
Old 02-27-2001, 06:58 PM   #10
MustangTzahui
Registered Member

Cool

I have the same model V6 2001 Mustang and would love to install the same dual exhaust system on my car. Is it possible to install the same exhaust system that the GT's have?

------------------
Saul Tzahui
2001 Mustang
1999 Yamaha R1
MustangTzahui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 07:37 PM   #11
Fostang
Registered Member

At least it wont hurt it as much as not having any back pressure present. It's kinda like putting 3 inch pipes and dual exhaust on a 5.0. Of course you wouldn't do it. The engine will run like crap. Torque would go bye bye. Unless your an all out drag racer then thats a consideration. For around town driving the feel wont be the same. Thats my point of view but everyone has a different one. Just depends what your looking for High rpm horsepower or all through performance.
Old 02-27-2001, 11:09 PM   #12
GodStang
College Stanger

I own a 1994 v-6 3.8l 5-speed. It is the same car as the GT except the engine and the tags. Same transmisson, has the wires for the for lights and same brakets and wholes. I have an off road h-pipe and two 2 chamber flowmasters. I did it myself in my garage in two hours. Sounds great and runs great. You have any questions email me at _US_MALE@YAHOO.com I would be glad to help.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:12 PM   #13
GodStang
College Stanger

Forgot to say. Do not go to a shop. They make your car sound like a boat. I know 6 v-6's that went to shops to do theres. They sound horrible. I had one guy wait for me by my car to ask me where I got mine from and who did it. It sounds just like my friends Cobra that has flows.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 09:53 AM   #14
S Howard
Registered Member

Before i converted my 97 to a 5.0, I had duals put on it. Go to either Stangparts.com or their auctions on ebay. A like new catback lists for ~$89. At their website you can get the complete system--h pipe convertor included for ~$175. You do not need to change the gas tank or anything else. If you want to keep the torque from running too high purchase a replacement exhaust set up to use for the other side. Unless you of course prefer the chrome tips to the turn down look. The size of the pipes depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on installing a supercharger than go bigger for now. I saw an article in v6power.com you might want to check it out.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 10:14 PM   #15
02SonicGT
Registered Member

I have a 2000 V6 with true dual exhaust, not splitting off, and flow masters. I was never told there would be a problems with installing it. I didn't buy any extra parts. It took about 3 hours to install and cost me about $360.
02SonicGT is offline   Reply With Quote