MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
crazypete
Registered Member

Default Does anyone know of a good exhaust coating that actually stays on

None of the dupli color ceramic coatings seem to stick to the h pipe longer than maybe 2-3 warmup cycles. I'm running an aftermarket pipe with 2 high flow cats opposite the muffler inlet flange. I keep painting them with the off the shelf 1500 degree ceramic engine paints to keep them nice and fresh but the paint seems to disappear after 3-4 warmup cycles. Has anyone found anything that actually sticks to the metal? It's not the dynamic wind and debris that strips it off since I painted my headers with the 1500 ceramic paint and it flaked off mostly by the second warmup cycle.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
buddha
Registered Member

One word, Jet Hot. Take them off, send them in with about $200, and wait a week. By far the best coating out there and is tough as nails. Not cheap by any means, but it's the only thing that I know of.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
jrgoffin
Registered Member

I've had fantastic luck with POR-15 stuff. I did my entire exhaust with their exhaust coating (good to 2000 degrees if I remeber correctly) and it looks like jet-hot and has held up with no problems. You actually can brush it on and it cures from the heat - best stuff I have found.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:06 AM   #4
crazypete
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, man!

I figured as much . I just had the mufflerside flange detach itself from rot and I had the cool russian dudes down the street weld some monstrosity on that sorta acts like a flange. I also found that a horribly leaking t5 also has quite a positive exhaust coating effect and there's this really cool "redline enamel" on one of the pipes. I guess I just need to poke a hole on the other side of the transmission and I'll be all set =P . The pipes actually hold up not too bad and heck I drive this thing in the peak of winter. It's the welds that rust like crazy.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 10-19-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
jrgoffin
Registered Member

No problem! The POR-15 stuff will do the trick and can be applied right over the rust. If you check the link to my car, one of the pictures shows the rear discs and you can see part of the exhaust. It looks great and is a heck of a lot cheaper than jetHot! If you need to do any touch-up ever, just pop open the can and brush a little on to wherever you need it.

Check them out at www.por15.com
Old 10-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #6
crazypete
Registered Member

I'm gonna check out that por15 stuff. I've never brushed on auto paint before, but if it works on the underside, I'm game!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
drudis

Let us know how it goes.

I got mine all ceramic JetHot coated:
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha
One word, Jet Hot.
I think that's two word neighbor. And I agree.

I know the POR-15 is good stuff, but does it hold up to the heat of the H-pipe? That's as close to the engine as I would use it.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #9
jrgoffin
Registered Member

The POR-15 stuff is great. I did my long-tube headers, h-pipe, and the tail pipes/flowmasters. It has held up great and looks like jet-hot. If any bits of it get nicked or flake off, you just get out the can and brush it on where you need it. If you don't want to spring for the cost of the jet-hot this is the way to go. I'm about to pick up a set of FlowTech long-tubes and the h-pipe and they will definitely get the POR coating!

I should also add that when I dropped in the new motor, my headers were glowing red while I fiddled around with the timing to get it where it needed to be (me and the timing were both a bit retarded!!). The POR coating flaked in a couple small spots, but that was it. I touched it up and it looks awesome!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #10
tmoss
Registered Member

It doesn't burn off the headers near the head or the H pipe?
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:54 PM   #11
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Not at all! I added to my post above if that gives you more of an idea. POR says the stuff is good up to 2,000 degrees if I remember correctly! The key also with all their stuff is to apply it correctly!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:37 AM   #12
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

yea i have a friend that used the POR-15 and it works great.. so far no problems!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote