MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 03:27 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Experienced Fuel Injector harness question

My engine builder is a straight-up carb guy. He is just as scared of EFI and computers as I am waking up one day and finding an IROC in my driveway :-) I was wondering exactly how the injectors fire (after spark, randomly, etc) and if plugging the injector harness into the wrong injectors can do any damage? For example..say I took the number 4 cyl. plug and popped it into the number 8 injector by mistake...what could happen?? Could I bend a rod by injecting the cyl. on the wrong stroke?? We will be starting a fresh balanced and blueprinted 393 stroker Friday and were wondering if damage can be done by mistakingly plugging the wrong harness into an injector. Personally, I can't see how it could get screwed up b/c the harness is set up to only fit the sensors and injectors one way but I did notice that the injector plugs are not numbered. Thanks

------------------
Finally DONE!!
93 GT, 393 stroker, Dynamic Roller Mite C4, 8 pt cage,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's,
'69 351W block w/SCAT crank.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 06:20 PM   #2
ArtMan
Registered Member

Exclamation

Yes, plugging the harness plugs into the wrong injectors would be harmful. Don't do that. The correct plug is generally defined by the length of the wire needed to reach the injector. If you're struggling to get the plug to reach an injector, its the wrong one.

The injector firing is controlled by the computer and follows the firing order of the spark plugs. I believe the computer receives input from the Thick Film Module to determine which injector should squirt next, but I'm not certain.

In any case, plug the correct harness plugs onto the correct injectors.
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 06:25 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

That's what I was thinking also. My engine builder keeps reminding me to "make sure" I put them into the right injectors. I told him you can't really screw it up b/c they each have their own length. Thanks
Old 07-18-2001, 11:48 PM   #4
BlackFly
Registered Member

this should not hurt your engine , but performance and economy would suffer. the injector sprays in preset order and time according to engine load. spraying in bad time would result in the correct amount of fuel being delivered at the wrong time ,resulting in the fuel sitting, hopefully atomized still, waiting for the valve to open and suck it up, instead of spraying at the time of the valve opening.brand x ran batch fire injection on those slow irocs of the 80's, which fired pairs of injectors at once, resulting in the same situation, fuel sitting in the port waiting.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 01:12 PM   #5
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

But I still can't understand why he's worrying so much. It's not like you can screw it up. If you put the harness on the wrong way the temp and oil sensors wires won't attach to the sensors, right?
Old 07-19-2001, 11:46 PM   #6
BlackFly
Registered Member

stangroty is right , it falls in place better than a cheap puzzle, as long as you have the correct harness, you really cant go wrong, if the other sensors dont land in the right place , the harness is on the wrong way, flip it over and all will be well. these things are easier to hook up than cars of old.
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: