MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2002, 12:32 AM   #1
Radon
Registered Member

Default EFI to carb, fuel pump wiring question

According to :
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/e...b/efi-carb.htm

In order for the fuel pump to work, I need to make a few changes
to the harness in the engine bay.

"On the Black Harness:

----GROUND #97 (tan/light green - 18ga) to a suitable chassis ground. This creates the ground for the primary side of the fuel pump relay.

---Wire #361 (red 16ga) to #16 (the wire you ran to the ignition turn-on above). This creates the positive voltage supply for the primary side of the fuel pump relay."

This is according to his 1990 Mustang, but doesn't seem to apply to my '87 as I don't have wires in those colors..

Does anyone know the color of the wires I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:36 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Do what I did. Use the factory wires, but instead of running them through the fuel pump relay, wire them directly to the fuse panel. I actually routed mine though a rocker switch and a 30amp relay, but they are still the factory wires. When I switched to carb, I actually pulled all the wiring harnesses from the car and completely ridded them of any circuits that I didn't need. Took about 25lbs of wiring out of the car.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:03 PM   #3
Stang951
Registered Member

That is alot of freaking wires. I was thinking of doing the same thing, nut I am in no way sure of what can be ditched and what cant be ditched.

Radon - I tried wiring the pump using different instructions and couldn't get it to work with the factory relay. I am about to rewire and try it this way. The main reason that I wanted to do it this way though was to keep the fuel pump cut-off switch. If you dont care about that you could wire it like Jeff Chambers did.
Suspension:
Maximum Motorsports Caster-Camber Plates / Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms / FRPP heavy duty upper control arms / Tokico Illumina Shocks and Struts / Ground Pounder Coil Over conversion kit front / Steeda cross brace sub-frame connectors /
Drivetrain:
Tremec 3550 trans / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter / Spec Stage II clutch and pressure plate / Spec aluminum flywheel /

5.8 in the hole
Stang951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:29 AM   #4
Radon
Registered Member

I'm simply looking for the easiest route. I'll probably just figure something out tomorrow, so no biggie.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:47 AM   #5
PKRWUD

What you need to do is first to ground the wire that was the controlling wire from the ECM. This wire is Tan w/ Lt. Green tracer (T/LG). If you cannot find it in the black harness as described, remove the drivers seat and ground it near the fuel pump relay (cut the wire about 6" from the relay, and attach it to chassis ground so that the (T/LG) wire goes from the relay to ground).

Next, you want to splice the wire that used to supply power to the FP relay (through the inertia switch) when the ignition was turned on. Look for a 16 gauge red wire (R) in the black harness as described. Then find the 16 gauge red wire w/ lt. green tracer (R/LG) in the gray harness, as described. Next, splice the two together with a splice connector. If you can't find a 16 gauge red wire (R) in the black harness, look for an orange wire w/ a black tracer (O/BL) instead.

Does this help? If not, tell me specifically what you can and can not find.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote