MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
joey50gt
Registered Member

Unhappy fuel pump install question please help

ok last night after work i was leting my car worm up. while it was warming up i stuck my ear to my gas tank and i think the ringing is coming from the feul pump i may be wrong but i think you guys are right about my fuel pump going bad.(correct me if iam worng)
So if i get a new one what brand and what size should i get if there is a size i have never bought one but i did help my friend put a new one in his grand national and it was pain in the *** cause his gas tank was full and he didnt want to lose the gas so the tank felt like it was 200lb.'s
Is the job easy to do with two people? and about how long does it take for a first timer like me to get it done.
thaks for any help given ahead of time.

joey50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 05:40 PM   #2
Mad Horse
Registered Member

With two people the job won't take any longer than an 45 min. There are different sizes but as to which one to go with depends on your future plans for the car and the fuel it will need. As for the brand most are made by Wahlbro even the Ford ones. I replaced mine with a 190lph pump.

As a side note, even my new pump whines while the car is running. Maybe not quite as loud as my factory one was bu it still makes plenty of noise.

------------------
88GT 5-speed
Mods: Cervinis Ram air hood 3.73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Pro 5.0, March alum. Pullies, DynoMax Cat-back, WMS Xtrac subframes, 16" Ponies.
"Nip it in the Bud"
My Webpage
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 08:05 PM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Yup, it's the pump. my 87 was making the same noise. it took about an hour to pull the tank and replace the pump. make sure you run the tank dry unless you like the smell of gas

------------------
In progress for Spring:

93 GT less motor and tranny, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB & cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System..
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 03:32 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You're looking at about a 30-45 minute job to pull the tank, replace the pump, and get her back in. The hardest part for us was removing the fuel lines. You have to remove the filler neck which is pretty simple. Remove the bolts on the neck in the gas cap area and loosen the straps on the tank and as you lower the tank have someone wiggle the neck out of there. Not a bad job at all.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote