MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
avbcon12
Registered Member

Default factory five control arms

i am going to buy some upper and lower control arms and want to know if they are any good? im getting them used (in good shape) and dont know if i will get good improvements from stock. are they any good? i will use them on a street car.

thanks,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #2
avbcon12
Registered Member

anybody?

thanks,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

Old 06-12-2002, 08:45 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I've heard some good things about them, but dont have them myself, so i cant give you personal experience with them.

I was actually in the process of buying a set a couple years ago but they were on backorder for like 6months so I bought the MAC's for about the same price.

I'd go with them if I were you
Old 06-12-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
avbcon12
Registered Member

ok thanks, i figured for the price (which is about half of what they are new) and them being only a few months old i couldnt go wrong.

what is the real world difference when putting on aftermarket control arms? what is the first thing i will say after driving?

take care,
adam

Old 06-12-2002, 09:58 PM   #5
jrgoffin
Registered Member

I've heard they are quality pieces. Then again, by the looks of their Cobra kit, can't imagine them selling anything but quality stuff!

I personally would use the lowers, but would leave the rubber-bushed arms in the top. Too little compliance can bind up the rear and tear up the torque boxes. I just put poly bushings in the stock lower arms and had great results. The ride really is firmed up!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:42 PM   #6
kdog
Registered Member

I have a set of the Factory Five's (uppers & lowers) on a mild brackets-only '83GT and they are definately quality made items. I also like the fact they round, as opposed to square, tubing. I would use the uppers and lowers - just re-use the stock rubber bushings on the differential for the uppers. And don't forget to put the sway bar back on. They should work very well on your car. The first thing you will probably notice is the complete absence of wheel hop and an overwhelming desire for more tire and horsepower.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 01:53 PM   #7
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Default Factory Five

I have a set of factory five upper and lowers and they are quite good compared to stock. If you are getting them used, check with Steeda about getting their two piece bushings. They are Polyuerethane with the outside rubber so they are not quite as stiff. For the money the factory five arms were a good investment and especially if you are getting them used. You can always change them later if you want. They made the car launch really straight even with the wheels spinning. I haven't had the rearend come out on me unless it was wet out.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote