MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
Just me
Registered Member

Default Cali question

Props to the webmaster. Hello all. I have a question for you people in Cali. I live in Miami and have no cats due to there being no emissions anymore, I and the rest of the v8/import crowd run around the streets like its a freakin parade for the hard of hearing. When we had emissions I would just put on my h-pipe with cats and take a quick ride and barely pass the test. I became sick of this and had high flow cats installed so I wouldn't have to worry about emissions. The problem was that the two times I welded new cats on my bare H-pipe, they blew up inside and clogged up my exhaust. So what I did was have a custom 3" x-pipe built but without cats. MY questions to you Cali guys are: Can I use the same method I was using here were I can swap exhausts for emissions? If I don't are there any cats you would recomend. I have little knowledge on cats. They seem like diapers to me after driving so long without them but I'd be glad to quiet the car down some for the ladies who can't handle the drone at 2 grand. What do you think guys? Am I around the wrong women....I mean what cats do you recomend? Thank you. My next mission is going to figure out if I should drive this thing across country or ship it.

I have a 91' LX 5.0 TFS twisted wedge 1.6 rr. Wolverine 1087. RPM upper with a performer lower and an Accufab 75mm with a Pro-m 77 mass air. 24lb injectors and 255lph pump with regulator. New o2 sensors. 3" 2 chamber Flowmasters Is this enough info? Thanks.
Thanks
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default CA. smog

If the heads, cam...and rest of your set up is smog legal...and you still have the smog pump, charcoal canister...and the rest of all that smog junk hooked up...then swapping in a stock h-pipe with cats should allow you to pass just like it did in Miami. However...CA. has random "test only" smog requirements for older vehicles such as yours (& mine). When your registration is up...you could easily receive one of these dreaded smog tests because of the year your car was built. This "test only" smog is more involved then just going to a regular "smog check station"...you have to go to a test only center. So hopefully your car is running well...and everything is smog legal...if not, they may fail you. Tough to say really...without knowing more detail about your set up and the internals of the motor itself.

Actually I just looked at your sig. & your 2-chamber Flowmasters are not smog legal in CA. So it's not looking good for you already.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Just me
Registered Member

Wow that sucks. You reminded me that I no smog stuff installed. I didn't think about the pump and such because iit hasn't ben on the car for 98 years. There are alot more mods on my car such as ignition. The heads and cam are not smog legal. As a matter of fact, I'm not smog legal! I didn't think of any of this. The question was answered before I made the original post. Problem is that I've been driving my stang like this(modded) for about 3 years and my car has run like it came from the factory this way. I forgot about all the crap I have taken off of the car. I'm just going to keep the car registered in Miami I guess. I wonder if there is any problems with that. Maybe I can put just cats to quiet the car down some so I won't draw attention, or when I getting pulled over for a cat check. I can only assume. Thank you
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote