MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2001, 12:06 AM   #1
tra9379
Registered Member

Post Emissions question for Illinios

Ok, how the hell can I get around emission on my car, and still drive it when I want to. I'm putting a nice motor in my 90, and I'd like to not go thru the hassle of emissions. Any clues?
tra9379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 01:10 PM   #2
rj_stang
Registered Member

I'm trying to figure that out myself. If i find out i'll let you know.
rj_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:08 PM   #3
slo95
Registered Member

move out of the city! kidding. Not sure there is anyway around it, unless you swap parts before the "annual sniff," or find a way to license your car out of town.
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:23 PM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

My idea (untested) for when I get my new motor was that if I couldn't pass emmisions, was to remove a couple of the injectors (not in sequence) to make a v-6! I have NO idea whether it would actually work, but it sounded good to me, because, no fuel, no emmisions. It might hurt the plugs in those cylinders......but hey, I'd like to try it just for fun. I don't know whether this would be enough change, though, to compensate for emmisions. I wonder if you could make it to the shop on 4 cylinders........but actually, I believe part of the inspection is to verify that all emmissions control components are present and working. Also, if you are gonna try this, drive around for 10-15 min with all cyls going, to get it all warmed up, then pull the injectors and get sniffed. Won't work if you're carbed though.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 07:28 PM   #5
Phil Ossifer
Registered Member

tra9379,

Here in Michigan we used to have emissions testing, it could be done at most service stations if they had the certified equipment to do the test. Basically it was a sniffer test; they would put a probe into the exhaust pipe, punch your vin number into the machines keypad, run the engine for a specified amount of time and rpm ranges and the machine would spit out a document which you would take to the Secretary of State office to renew your plates, provided it passed the test.

A lot of people would use a car that was know will pass the test and then simply plug in the vin number of the failed car. The tester had to be willing to do it and most of them would, especially if it was a friend, or a friend of a friend. Of course you’d throw him a $20 to sweeten the deal!

This was highly illegal and very costly if you got caught but amazingly, people did it. I guess they figured, how could you get caught anyway?

If your state has a visual inspection, this method won’t work.

Phil
Phil Ossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 08:36 PM   #6
buddha
Registered Member

I just went to our new emissions testing station here in Missouri with my F-150. I know what I'll need to take car of with my car now. As far as checking for all emissions equipment, all thay did was check for cats with a mirror on a handheld pole. I didn't see a hood open in the place. With my PMS, I'm pretty sure I can get my car to pass the sniffer.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
Piston
Registered Member

Angry

Oh man, This is something I'm trying to figure out myself. The IL inspection is on a dyno now. What can be done??? The only thing I have thought of is re registring the car in different names. I have been asked to go in last summer. Luckly my trans busted and I was able to fill out the paper with that. I haven't heard from them since. I am thinking about registring some place else. Where from IL are you?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
mikos chris

I am in the same boat as you guys, that is why my 83GT is sitting in the garage. I was able to hold them off for just over 2 1/2 years by filling out the form saying it was in pieces, it was in storage, it was out of town, etc. I guess its a good thing though because its giving me an excuse to build a 78 EFI 351w twin turbo fairmont. Being a 78 it only has to pass an idle test, EFI along with a DFI system, the mild turbo cam I know it will pass with flying colors. If you figure anything out let me know I would like to get my 83 registered again. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-07-2001, 12:47 AM   #9
Piston
Registered Member

Lightbulb

There is one thing that I know for sure. That is you can pay $20 to take a test that doesn't count againts your record. I would suggest doing that before going through to potentially fail. If you pass get back in line and do it again.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:41 PM   #10
terrible0ne
Registered Member

find someone that lives down south in IL or in upper mece. county and reg. your car at there house because they dont the sniffer test yet. and yes if you do it right pulling some of the ing. will work if done right.
terrible0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:44 PM   #11
Piston
Registered Member

Question

What is that at the end? What works if done right? I'm not following.
Old 03-09-2001, 01:54 PM   #12
92Rustang
Registered Member

I live in Il down next to St.Louis and we just started test a couple of years ago.We get test every two years. The only way I have found around it is sale the car to a family member or wife ever two years. You can own the car for two years before you get called for the test. The problem with going to get test if you a not call in is.If you fail you fail and have a month or two to get it fixed.

------------------
Check my site for mod
www.fordmustanggt.com
92Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote