View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Erik Beeman
Registered Member

Default Few 5.0 questions (newb)

Hello,

I've got a few questions for some 5.0 knowledgeable people. I drive a supercharged 92 Toyota pickup , 4cyl fully built which is used for drifting, but have decided that it's time for some real power, which the reason I am putting a 5.0 in. I bought a 93 5.0 today and I'm planning on giving it a quick stock rebuild (since it has forged pistons, correct?)
My goal is to make roughly 300 N/A hp on this 5.0, then add a 150 shot to it to make ~450hp. In my 2581lb little truck, I'm sure 450hp will be plenty to spin the tires. Also, I am going carb'd, not EFI.

Now with my goals being brought up, I'm looking for some information on the easiest way to get 300 out of the 5.0.

- I will be using stock iron heads since the motor I bought just had them rebuilt 500 miles ago.

-Which cam is a good cam? I want something with mid-high power, nasty idle doesn't bother me.

- Which intake manifold would be good?

- I have to invest in a oil filter relocation kit. I am unsure of the thread size of the 5.0, or also what kits would or wouldn't work. Does anybody have experience with these?

- What size carb do you all recommend? 650CFM? 750? Remember, I plan on making 450-500 on spray, if possible.

- What about exhaust? The motor I bought did not come with any exhaust. I want to get a set of headers, which would be best, a set of shorty or long tube?

- When I rebuild the motor I want to plan on decent shot of spray, so shouldn't I have a certain set of rings? Moly, or what? Would stock rings handle it?

Sorry if I sound like a newb, or may have asked silly simple questions. But please bear with me and help me out, for I am dying to get this motor into my truck.
Erik Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote